Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to biking, I occasionally run (maybe 2-3x weekly).

On New Year's Day, I hiked up "The Incline" in Manitou... any of you ever done that? Holy cow were my thighs sore the next couple days, I actually thought I was in decent shape. That is a workout.

Do any of you regularly strength train? Or is your biking pretty much your work-out regimen?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Colo Springs E said:
In addition to biking, I occasionally run (maybe 2-3x weekly).

On New Year's Day, I hiked up "The Incline" in Manitou... any of you ever done that? Holy cow were my thighs sore the next couple days, I actually thought I was in decent shape. That is a workout.

Do any of you regularly strength train? Or is your biking pretty much your work-out regimen?
I'm now running the incline 2-3 times/week. When I first started, my thighs killed me. Anything "new" is a muscle killer. The incline now is just a good workout. It takes me 30-35 minutes to the top, and my heart rate is above150 the entire time (usually above 160); I'm 48 years old.

Oh, I also run other trails and the streets, and lift weights at the YMCA 3 times/week.

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Doing the Incline any more than once a week is nuts! ;), def a great off season workout but haven't done it in recent years.

I do strength train 3 days/week, usually Nov-April, def helps at my age.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've been trying to get more hikes in now that winter is here. Around boulder you can really get some elevation in, gets my HR elevated on the uphill. Good stuff for various stabilizing muscles that you don't use biking.

I'm also starting a weight program for the winter, doing squats and lots of core stuff. I want to keep that up even during the riding season, but at a lower level than the winter. Cyclists have lower bone density than other athletes, and I've had various tendon issues. I'm hoping weights will help with that, for me its more trying to avoid being injured than building strength.

Also this winter I'm gonna do a bunch of skiing!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.