6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually open by the 4th, but this year?

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ibmkidIII said:
packed powder with some spots of corn snow....
OK, so Monarch is out. I got a buddy coming into town from the East coast, wanted to get him on a big mountain ride that won't kill his low altitude self. Any ideas? Was thinking Kenosha to Breck, but I'd imagine the other side of Georgia is snowed in in the trees. Help a brother out....

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
DWF was lieing about why he wanted an "easy" ride said:
OK, so Monarch is out. I got a buddy coming into town from the East coast, wanted to get him on a big mountain ride that won't kill his low altitude self. Any ideas? Was thinking Kenosha to Breck, but I'd imagine the other side of Georgia is snowed in in the trees. Help a brother out....
MK had a good post in another thread...start at the Gold Hill trailhead (or Frisco) (buy a latitude 40 for summit if you don't have it) and put a big loop together with the Peaks trails, all the way to the Breck resort and back.

Or an out/back on the CT from Gold Hill to the 2nd intersection of Tiger Run rd (or farther depending on snow).

I wonder how Commando is this time of year...plus I know there's a closure for Elk...ends either June 30 or July 31st.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,453 Posts
ibmkidIII said:
<snip>
I wonder how Commando is this time of year...plus I know there's a closure for Elk...ends either June 30 or July 31st.
I can guarantee Commando is not ready to go. The Grand Traverse was still snow covered when we were at Vail Sunday... those dark trees on the descent to Two Elks will probably be snowed in until late July... and then probably wet until the snow flies in September. :D

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might do the Crest anyway and just take the snowshoes....

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
You think the snow is deep here ?

SkaredShtles said:
I think that's a good idea. Take lots of pics. :thumbsup:
This is a trail head that I've used a few times on "summer" backpacking trips in Montana. This photo was sent to me by a friend and was taken last Sunday June 29. Normally the lake is open by now and people are boating, as well as the large campground. Normally the only snow you see on the 4th of July- 10th of July is some lingering on the high peaks.

This is what it looked like 4 days ago.

I'm glad I had other plans this summer.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
DWF said:
Check PM.

·
Registered
9,927 Posts
You could always do Kenosha to Georgia and back but I do like the Frisco-Breck area trails idea even though the drive is longer. Heck, I may head up that way on Sat with a buddy....always good to have company on those long rides just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.