Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I have read everything posted so far, but just wondering if anyone has any additional new information, ride reports, anything on the Atlas. I am looking for a new frame and considering the Atlas along with several others (Heckler, 575, Trance, MKIII) The others are all in the $1000 + range but there is tons of feedback on them and you pretty much know exactly what you are getting. One part of me says take a chance on the Atlas (only $600 for Expert frame) but the other parts says pay for a proven design. I think it would be helpful to hear some more ride impressions even if it is from IBEX employees on the prototype bike. Anyway, seems like talk of the Atlas has slowed down lately.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Not yet

We're still a month or so from the bikes hitting the warehouse. Maybe Jack can have someone from Ibex post a ride report here based on the prototype they have been riding.

As for taking the leap of faith in the Atlas over a known commodity, that's a tough call. All I can say personally is that I've torn down my beloved Leader 626S and parted it out on ebay in order to offset the cost of my Atlas. I think this bike's going to be a keeper.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Leaping onto an Atlas

I have taken the leap as well. I decided to order an Atlas Expert even though its a new model for Ibex, I fell that it is the best AM bike for the value that I could find. The frame & welding details that have been posted in earlier threads have helped convince me too. I was thinking about a Heckler, but could get past the price.
I'm looking forward to test riding my friends new Heckler and compare it to my Atlas in the spring. I'm thinking my bike will be just as good at ~$500-600 less.

Jack B.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Atlas first impressions

Hi guys,

I handle most of the tech support at IBEX and as a perk I get to ride most of the bikes. I have had the opportunity to put a few miles on the Atlas prototype and can confidently say the bike will not disappoint.
To give a point of reference I have owned a Santa Cruz Heckler for about three and a half years now. I bought it back when I was still turning wrenches in a bike shop. It is a great bike and I have really enjoyed it. In my opinion, compared to the Atlas, the Heckler is a bit heavier as well as a bit stiffer. The Atlas is a better climber and a little bit quicker handling. The Heckler feels a bit more confident during real abuse like bigger jumps or hard flat landings off drops, but you pay for it with a little extra weight and slower response in tight sections. Both bikes are great all day rides, but the Atlas would honestly be my first choice to actually spend all day riding.
I hope this little bit of information is helpful. Feel free to let me know if you have any more specific questions. I'll be around from time to time and will try to answer them when I can.

Keep the rubber side down.
Will,

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nice report

Thanks Will. Sounds like a reasonable and realistic assessment of the bike. Gives me that much more confidence that I'm making the right choice.

Can you give us more insight in how much time and milage you have on the bike? It sounds like you've put the bike through some rather aggressive riding (you mention jumps and drops), can you expand a bit on that, too? As a larger rider (circa 250 lbs) I'd also be interested in knowing whether or not a fellow clyde has had time on the bike.

Thanks again.

Bob

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also appreciate the review, every little bit helps. What shock did you have on the prototype again? Can you elaborate a bit on the suspension action over typical trail obstacles, rocks, roots, etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's good news about the tighter handling. I've been looking at the Atlas mainly for the higher BB and one more inch of travel compared to my Specialized '04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert. The trails I ride are tight and twisty with a healthy dose of rock gardens, short steep climbs but not any extended downhill. My Stumpjumper handles the tight twisty stuff great but can't make it through the rock gardens without bashing the pedals... most of the time hard enough to kill your momentum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.