Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading, would like 06 Z1-Light (130-150mm, ETA, 20mm) or possibly 07 Marz All Mountain 1. The 07 AM1 is 160mm w/o adj travel, does anyone know ac length? (not speced in 07 Marz manual, might be too tall?)
Going on a SC Heckler, currently have '05 AM1 130-150mm.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
rglsr said:
I'm thinking about upgrading, would like 06 Z1-Light (130-150mm, ETA, 20mm) or possibly 07 Marz All Mountain 1. The 07 AM1 is 160mm w/o adj travel, does anyone know ac length? (not speced in 07 Marz manual, might be too tall?)
If you find a new one you will be a lucky kiddo. I was looking for one a month or two ago and there were none to be had. I even had several people (read: shop owners) searching.
I did find several in the classifieds that were used and one new one, but the seller wanted $700 since "they are hard to find and people want them". My response: "NOT THAT BAD".

Here is a listing of '07 a2c's.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
rglsr said:
The 07' Z1 RC2 is the same fork as the Z1 light minus the TAS .

·
Registered
729 Posts
somewhat

keen said:
The 07' Z1 RC2 is the same fork as the Z1 light minus the TAS .
Internally that is correct, the 2007 Z1 RC2 has a retro style bolt on crown and separated stanchions where the 2006 Z1 Light has the Cryofit crown and stanchions. Internally the same minus TAS on the 150mm 2007 Z1 RC2.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
gkler said:
Internally that is correct, the 2007 Z1 RC2 has a retro style bolt on crown and separated stanchions where the 2006 Z1 Light has the Cryofit crown and stanchions. Internally the same minus TAS on the 150mm 2007 Z1 RC2.:thumbsup:
So for some folks that's a fairly big difference, not to mention the orange color isn't everybody's thing. Really too bad that the Z1 Light is so rare...

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Yep... best fork Zocchi has made

in a lonnng time. One would think they'd keep that fork in production being the fact it IS a very popular fork. :confused: Here's the next best thing that I'm going to do with one of my All mountain forks. Buy new '05-'06 Z1 lowers and make a "frankenfork". It'll have the 20mm axle for stiffness and full adjustability of the AM1 minus the RC2 cartridge. There's a LOT of folks who don't want or need these new 160mm travel forks!!!! Marzocchi, Are you listening???:nono:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I thought, glad to hear I'm not alone.

BTW, Chain Reaction (UK) supposedly still has the '06 Z1-Lights, nobody stateside seems to. I'm still looking around, no rush, might turn one up. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Livin' the Dream
506 Posts
There are some good deals to be had on the '06 Z1 SL out there. I have been riding one for a few months and love it. It isn't quite as plush w/o the coils, but the doppio air works very well (once you figure it out). It's also pretty light for a 150mm fork, claimed 4.5lbs by Marz.

·
Registered
697 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
in a lonnng time. One would think they'd keep that fork in production being the fact it IS a very popular fork. :confused: Here's the next best thing that I'm going to do with one of my All mountain forks. Buy new '05-'06 Z1 lowers and make a "frankenfork". It'll have the 20mm axle for stiffness and full adjustability of the AM1 minus the RC2 cartridge. There's a LOT of folks who don't want or need these new 160mm travel forks!!!! Marzocchi, Are you listening???:nono:
AZmtncycler, Marzocchi will sell you 20mm lowers that will fit an All Mountain for about $120 + about $20 for the axle. I recently did just that on my 05 AM-1 and love it.:thumbsup:

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Yep,

Merrimack Dave said:
AZmtncycler, Marzocchi will sell you 20mm lowers that will fit an All Mountain for about $120 + about $20 for the axle. I recently did just that on my 05 AM-1 and love it.:thumbsup:
My LBS ordered them for me. I'll be building it up next week. It'll go nice with my Z1 light and new RS Lyrik. Now, which bike to put it on:confused: :confused: :D

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I have 06 Z1 SL and it has pos air chamber in each leg and one neg chamber on one. With neg psi, you can adjust fork travel from 150mm to 130mm. Also has one additional air chamber called PAR (to make last part of the fork stroke more progressive). It has RC2 damping vs.HSCV damping. Plus external rebound and compression adjustment knobs. Lower 20mm dropout area has been redesigned to much simpler one bolt clamp type from QR20 mess. Lastly, it weighs about 4.5lbs. A bit more feature at slightly weight penalty.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
I'm so glad I pulled the trigger when I did, otherwise I'd be up shits creek right now.

Funny, I tried to win one on ebay a few months ago, but got sniped at the last second. I rode the next weekend and saw a guy with one of these on the front end and asked him how he liked it. Didn't know, said he just got it off ebay. I asked if he was such and such screen name and he was, and I told him mine and he apologized for winning it from me. Small world.

Bought mine for cheaper a week or so later, complete with black lowers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.