Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at changing out my air shock on my Klein Mantra to a coil spring shock. I am having difficulty finding one with the correct stroke length. Does anyone know if going to a slightly shorter stroke length would be a problem, major or minor? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
Jups said:
I am looking at changing out my air shock on my Klein Mantra to a coil spring shock. I am having difficulty finding one with the correct stroke length. Does anyone know if going to a slightly shorter stroke length would be a problem, major or minor? Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
Depends on the frame & how much shorter. Make sure that with the new collapsed eye to eye mechanical interferance won't happen - tire to frame , linkage binding etc. Your HA will slacken, lower BB height.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you have the same eye to eye, just a shorter stroke, I'd think you would only lose travel and change the travel characteristics somewhat. It shouldn't change anything else, but you might not like it in any case. Post up the specifics of the eye to eye/stroke you had and what you're looking at for better info....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mantra uses a shock with a 7.875 eye to eye and a stroke of 2.5, eye width 7/8. I have seen some shocks with the same eye to eye measurement but a stroke of 2, 2.25, and I believe I also saw a stroke of 2.375. I don't think the decrease in stroke would be a huge inpact but I am not sure. Yes the mantra uses a TT pivot, and yes it gets 7 inches in the back. The shocks I have seen on Ebay and elsewhere are Fox shocks. Thanks for your input keep it coming.

G

·
Jups said:
The mantra uses a shock with a 7.875 eye to eye and a stroke of 2.5, eye width 7/8. I have seen some shocks with the same eye to eye measurement but a stroke of 2, 2.25, and I believe I also saw a stroke of 2.375. I don't think the decrease in stroke would be a huge inpact but I am not sure. Yes the mantra uses a TT pivot, and yes it gets 7 inches in the back. The shocks I have seen on Ebay and elsewhere are Fox shocks. Thanks for your input keep it coming.
Um, hate to burst your buble, but there is no way that the kelien mantra gets 7inchs of travel. Your bike is similar to IBIS bow Ti and another breezer model which I am forgetting the name of. I think you might be confusing yourself with the kelien palomeno which uses the mbits shock, identical to the maverik bikes and that might get 7in of travel. Your bike should get around 4 or 5 in of travel tops. You should use a 7.875 x 2.0 shock and you will have no problems. Your only issue will be less travel. Give FOX a call and they will sell to your direct and hook you up with the right mountin hardware.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could be right, I have never measured it. The 7 inches I quoted is right out of the klein manual, it has something to do with its quirky design, but like I said I have never measured it. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Mantra, right?

It does get somewhere in the &" range, designed around a 4" stroke fork. (mid to late 1990's) It is a URT design, with a big, single pivot at the TT, and the TT can be made of carbon or Al.

That being said, I still say call PUSH, and see if they can give it a Race rebuild first.
The original shock is a FOX right?

If you go to a 2.25" stroke, you are looking at at what, about a 10% travel decrease, with no change in geometry. (hopefully.)

How about some photos of the shock and mounting areas?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I had a 1999 Mantra Pro (briefly). It was my first full suspension bike and the only bike I've owned with nine speed. It did have like 6+" of travel and came with an 80mm fork. :confused: Why? Only God and Gary know for sure. But anyway, mine had a standard 7.87x2 shock on it. They varied by model year though.

Personally, I hated the bike and would highly recommend a new frame.

·
Poison Oak Finder
76 Posts
Homebrew said:
I had a 1999 Mantra Pro (briefly). It was my first full suspension bike and the only bike I've owned with nine speed. It did have like 6+" of travel and came with an 80mm fork. :confused: Why? Only God and Gary know for sure. But anyway, mine had a standard 7.87x2 shock on it. They varied by model year though.

Personally, I hated the bike and would highly recommend a new frame.
Just to prove Homebrew's point about varying year to year, my 1998 Klein Mantra used a non-standard 170mm (6.69") eye to eye Fox Alps 5R. I say used because as of yesterday it no longer holds air. :(

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I also had a Klein Mantra Race (1997) which used the Fox Alps 5R and yes the travel was 6 1/2 inches. As I built the bike up myself, I had a 1999 Z-1 on it which was if I remember correctly 100mm of travel. Loved the bike on the climbs but hated steep descents and was fired over the bars more than once.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.