Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Caution: Freerider
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode MTB for a while and then switched over to dirt bikes. then after my brother sold his van (only way of transportation), i went back to MTBs. now i'm trying to do half and half.. anyways just wodnering if anyoen else in here rides mx. i have a few qs for you all if you dont mind.

and sorry if this is off topic of this site..

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
I'm totally "bi". I''ve been riding and racing dirt bikes since I was 8 and just fell in love with mountain biking about 7 years ago. Now I do both about 50/50. I don't do mx, but I used to race desert.

I like your signature.... especially if it's referring to those evil quads.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
another MXer

Yes, I'm another MX rider in here, I race dirtbikes but don't do much trail riding etc. I got into mountain biking a couple of years ago and now I'm hooked. I do 'em both about fifty-fifty but i sort of prefer them both for different reasons. I go for MX racing more the pure speed and jumping and all that fun stuff, whereas mountain biking to me is more of a "zen nature" thing as well as a great fitness tool. I should really try 4X sincei t seems alot like mountain biking.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
I am sure there are plenty of riders here on mtbr.

I have been riding them since i was about 12 or so. Mostly trailriding, then a couple races, some road riding and now its back to trail riding, especially hill climbs out of gnarly gulches.

bikes 80% moto 20%

·
Registered
30 Posts
Raced for....

I raced Moto for about 6 years. Stopped racing about two years ago for various reasons (money, school, ect..) MTB has taken the place of Moto however, I still love to trailride on my kawasaki. I don't know what kind of questions you have but I'm sure I can answer what ever.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i used to ride... until i had to sell my bike cuz of financial reasons (deathly ill = HUGE dr. bill) .. but i had a 250r. I grew up riding.. my dad was a semi-pro mx'er. Gosh i miss that so much.. im gonna make myself sad now. lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
My new full-suspension rig

I've been riding mtn bikes for 11 years now & am getting my first dirt bike for my birthday on June 22! I ride a hard-tail, but if I'm gonna spend 3 grand, I'm getting something with a motor! I've seen a lot of posts in here where people bash dirt-bikes & I just don't get it. The 2 are so closely related & I think that if it wasn't for dirt-bikes the mountain bike wouldn't have ever been invented! The backgrounds of most of the "inventors" of the mtn bike have dirt-bike histories. Some people really seem to freak out about them "cause they have a motor" & "they are for lazy people" as some have said. I personally feel that my mtn bike experience will only help with dirt-bike riding & vise versa.-Ride on,.......with a motor & without!

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
actual question..

i feel young now.. i'm only 15 and i've been riding mtb since i was 12. i got a rm 125 ('97) last year... i bought it off a friend. Real good shape

i RARELY get to ride, i dont think i got more than 5 hours actually sitting on the bike... it sucks.

but yeah i got a q. my brother sold his run down van for a dodge neon. i have no way to take my bike anywhere to ride. he said if we get a trailer then it'll be fine. so i'm trying to get one off eBay.. you think it'll work? or are those trailers only for trucks and vans?

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
I ride a dirt bike now too...

I bought my first dirt bike a year ago and have really had a blast. I have been riding mountain bikes since I was tall enought to throw a leg over one 15 years ago. I usually ride my mountain/road bike six times a week and usually ride the dirt bike once or twice a week depending on who I can get to go with. I am still uneasy dirt biking by myself.

I recently upgrade the dirt bike to a ktm and have really fallen in love with the bike. Now if I can figure out a way to put a bike rack on the back of my dirt bike :)

Oh and in refrence to the question on the trailer, I use a small trailer for my dirt bike and pull it with my subaru wrx.

here are my rigs:

Attachments

·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smilycook said:
Oh and in refrence to the question on the trailer, I use a small trailer for my dirt bike and pull it with my subaru wrx.
those trails look awesome... gah i live in a city, only 1 place to ride (private sand dumping place but oh well). hmm my dad also likes the small trailers that i'm looking on ebay... how's this one? small trailer
Would i need a trailer hitch or just buy this and i'm all set? Nice signature btw, suggestion: add "ride to live!" after "live to ride!"

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
smilycook said:
here are my rigs:
I love your stable Smiley. Looks like mine (Is your RFS a 450 or 525?).... except I don't have the Super Moto yet. How do you like yours? How do you have it set up? How heavy is it (SM, that is))? I've been strangely attracted to big bikes lately. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
smilycook said:
I bought my first dirt bike a year ago and have really had a blast. I have been riding mountain bikes since I was tall enought to throw a leg over one 15 years ago. I usually ride my mountain/road bike six times a week and usually ride the dirt bike once or twice a week depending on who I can get to go with. I am still uneasy dirt biking by myself.

I recently upgrade the dirt bike to a ktm and have really fallen in love with the bike. Now if I can figure out a way to put a bike rack on the back of my dirt bike :)

here are my rigs:
Beautiful bikes-you are very lucky!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started out riding a quad (I know, I know, don't bash me) for about 6 months and then converted to dirtbikes. Got myself a CRF250X and only got to ride it for about 2 months before plans changed and I moved from California to Arkansas to go to college. I picked up mountain biking here at college and have fallen in love with it. Dirt bikes are my true passion though. Just one week left of school and then I can go back home and ride all I want!

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
Your ktm will definatly dust mine

KRob said:
I love your stable Smiley. Looks like mine (Is your RFS a 450 or 525?).... except I don't have the Super Moto yet. How do you like yours? How do you have it set up? How heavy is it (SM, that is))? I've been strangely attracted to big bikes lately. :cool:
It is only a 250 rfs, but I don't weight too much so it has been working really well for me plus I got a great deal on it.

I just got the super moto and it only has one ride under its belt, although after the first ride I am pleased with it climbing ability and then it is super plush on the downhill. The bike is setup for all mountain with a 130 fork up front and fairly burly components. I would say the bike comes in at around 33lbs which is not too bad for all the travel.

I am so sold on titus and its stiff rear ends!

Chris

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
you will definatly need a 2" hitch

bsr35802 said:
those trails look awesome... gah i live in a city, only 1 place to ride (private sand dumping place but oh well). hmm my dad also likes the small trailers that i'm looking on ebay... how's this one? small trailer
Would i need a trailer hitch or just buy this and i'm all set? Nice signature btw, suggestion: add "ride to live!" after "live to ride!"
you want a real trailer, that will not work on a neon. Those hitch things are cool but they put a good deal of weight on the hitch plus you can't bring a friend. This is what you want for a neon...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4546078620&category=80768

·
Registered
13,088 Posts
smilycook said:
The bike is setup for all mountain with a 130 fork up front and fairly burly components. I would say the bike comes in at around 33lbs which is not too bad for all the travel.
So, you're running an air shock in the 5/6" mode I assume. Which shock? Which fork are you running? I see it's a manitou by the reverse crown. Sorry for all the questions. I just think the SM is dead sexy. Is your RX an 80mm?

smilycook said:
I am so sold on titus!
Me too. Give us more updates as you get some miles in on the SM.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Long long ago on a motocross track far far away...

Used to race. Still have ol' #94 here. Who can indentify the model and year???

Now I have a more "modern" bike, an '84 Yamaha IT200 that I use for scouting trails for Team Bigfoot's events. I also use it when we cut new trails....nothing like a few passes of a moto to groove-in a fresh-cut trail. Yeah, it's a tough job, but someone's gotta do it!

Bigfoot
www.teambigfoot.net

Attachments

·
Wandervans
2,084 Posts
details..

KRob said:
So, you're running an air shock in the 5/6" mode I assume. Which shock? Which fork are you running? I see it's a manitou by the reverse crown. Sorry for all the questions. I just think the SM is dead sexy. Is your RX an 80mm?

Me too. Give us more updates as you get some miles in on the SM.
I got the 6/7 link for the swinger 4way on the rear and minute 3 up front with 130/100.

The racerx is the 100 model and has a 100mm skareb platinum up front with the fox pro pedal in the rear, the x comes in at just under 25lbs so it is a perfect epic ride bike. Plus it is light enought to not kill my back when I have to hike and scramble with the bike.

Which titus do you own?

Have you ever done any desert racing up here in Idaho, I have riden with a couple guys on 300 and 525mxcs who desert race.

One of these days I will have to make it down to elko for some riding.

Chris

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.