Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any MTB Technical (repair) schools in New England?

I was looking to attend, an info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! Steve...

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Shrub said:
Any MTB Technical (repair) schools in New England?

I was looking to attend, an info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! Steve...
Park Tool School?

http://www.parktool.com/park_tool_school/index.shtml

See if someone near you is putting one on.

We have a place in Boulder that you can pay for a personal clinic in their shop. You might call some shops in your area and ask if they do something similar.

·
Registered
294 Posts
FreeRangeChicken said:
Park Tool School?

http://www.parktool.com/park_tool_school/index.shtml

See if someone near you is putting one on.

We have a place in Boulder that you can pay for a personal clinic in their shop. You might call some shops in your area and ask if they do something similar.
Dude, don't waste your time or money on it.

Buy some quality tools, sit in your garage or whatever, and take your bike apart. strip it to the the smallest parts.
Service, grease, clean everything and put it back together. if not all at once, do sections of the bike at a time. You'll quickly learn how everything works. From years of maintaing my own bikes and trying to learn to fix problems, I now work at a bike shop and haven't had a problem yet. I even taught myself (w/ the help of this site) to rebuild my marzocchi forks just last week. I did them both with stellar results on the Z1 , and we'll see about the X-fly 100 when I put the bike back together. I even gained 3/4" of travel on my Z1, i guess because there was too much fluid in it fromthe factory.

next up: a buddy is building me my new XC wheelset, and taught me the basics. I will try to lace up a 3-cross next week probably, as soon as a customer orders one.

I know a guy who went to a mechanic's school, and then started working at shops. not only was he a shoddy mechanic who asked tons of questions, but he also says now that the school was a total waste of time and money, and he's learned tons more just by wrenching.

my 2 cents

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.