Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My platform pedals combined with my crappy pedaling style has resulted in a LOT of skinned shins. The one yesterday was bad and needed stiches.

My LBS looks like a deer caught in headlights when I ask for this: Any tall compression socks that include some lightweight shin protection/ blood absorption abilities?

Thanks

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Just get some soccer socks and some soccer shin guards. Mountain bike specific no but will fit the bill just fine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yeah, soccer shin guards were the first thing that came to my mind, but this issue is why I finally gave in and learned to ride clipless (but of course I currently have a huge bruise on my ass due to clipless, so who knows).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I rode the last half of last year on platforms with some serious spikes on them. I just picked up soccer shin guards and they worked perfectly. This season I have gone back to my eggbeater pedals. My personal preference is clip less.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Check out the G-Form shin pads. Or if you're on a budget, soccer shin guards as mentioned above. The real question is why your feet are slipping. Do you need longer pins, grippier shoes or maybe both?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I bought some soccer shin guards last night w/ some compression sleeves to hold them in place.

My foot actually flew off when I tried to manual (I think it's called) off a 3' ledge drop off. I landed the manuever beautifully but killed my shin in the process.

Although it's my worst scrape, my lower legs look like crap ever since I began MTBing. So this is a good solution for me.

Thanks again.

PS. I'm not a fan of clipless pedals. On the very technical trails we rode last Sunday, my partner probably crashed 10x in part because of those pedals. No thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts