Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got into mountain biking in the last few months and I've been thinking a lot about a Doh! moment I had years ago.

Fact is, I could have been mountain biking for the last 15 years, but instead I got out pretty quickly. Here's my story:

It was 1995 and I was in the Army and stationed at Dahlonegha Ga, which is mountain phase for Ranger School. I made pals with a clerk who talked a lot about mountain biking. He was from Arizona and had been on the school's mountain biking team. He talked a lot about it and was just an all around nice guy. Religious, married, good husband and father. Anyway, he kind of took me under his wing.

So, one day he comes in, looks at me, says he prayed the night before and God told him to give me his mountain bike. I was just like WTF? I took it, but I didn't know what to do with it. I knew no one else who mountain biked, didn't know a thing about where any trails were so I took it out a few times riding some of the trails and mainly jeep roads around there.

I don't even remember what kind of bike it was. He just told me it was custom made and cost him like $1,500. At the time, I just didn't really care about brands or anything.

So, I didn't have much fun on it, honestly. Looking back, now I know its because I didn't ask around enough to see where the mountain bike trails in North Georgia were. But back in those days. the internet wasn't as easy, so didn't know any better.

Long story short. I just didn't use it. Then a few years later, I am in college, needing money for some beer and think of that mountain bike. Took it to a pawn shop and sold it for 15 bucks and picked up a case of Natty Light.

The whole dang time I kept thinking to myself, does God want me to have this beer?

·
DeForest Stump
972 Posts
Rocklion said:
So, I just got into mountain biking in the last few months and I've been thinking a lot about a Doh! moment I had years ago.

Fact is, I could have been mountain biking for the last 15 years, but instead I got out pretty quickly. Here's my story:

It was 1995 and I was in the Army and stationed at Dahlonegha Ga, which is mountain phase for Ranger School. I made pals with a clerk who talked a lot about mountain biking. He was from Arizona and had been on the school's mountain biking team. He talked a lot about it and was just an all around nice guy. Religious, married, good husband and father. Anyway, he kind of took me under his wing.

So, one day he comes in, looks at me, says he prayed the night before and God told him to give me his mountain bike. I was just like WTF? I took it, but I didn't know what to do with it. I knew no one else who mountain biked, didn't know a thing about where any trails were so I took it out a few times riding some of the trails and mainly jeep roads around there.

I don't even remember what kind of bike it was. He just told me it was custom made and cost him like $1,500. At the time, I just didn't really care about brands or anything.

So, I didn't have much fun on it, honestly. Looking back, now I know its because I didn't ask around enough to see where the mountain bike trails in North Georgia were. But back in those days. the internet wasn't as easy, so didn't know any better.

Long story short. I just didn't use it. Then a few years later, I am in college, needing money for some beer and think of that mountain bike. Took it to a pawn shop and sold it for 15 bucks and picked up a case of Natty Light.

The whole dang time I kept thinking to myself, does God want me to have this beer?
So which is the Doh! part? :D
I thought this was going to be about a big biff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts