Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rumour has it that there are only about 20 frames of the Rocky Mountain Ti Bolt left.
Now who knows about the whereabouts of one or more of these. I think I could locate 5 in Germany. This is not a wanted ad. So don't get me wrong, I am just curious because a friend of mine has one.

As Thylacine would ask: Have you seen them? ;)

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

·
Registered
197 Posts
I know where 1 is. It is in Saint John, NB. 21 inch bike, I am first on the waiting list to get it when the owner decides to sell, if ever.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
There's another one located here in the Bay Area. Belongs to a shop employee. Not for sale either...I tried. :D

There's got to be more than 20 Ti Bolts out there. I didn't think they were that rare.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
The Ottawa/Hull area had one of them, there also was the earlier Rocky Mountain Titanium here (a 21") but the idiot who owned it used it for bike courier work in 1996, with a Bomber Z.1 and had this habit of doing nose-wheelie stops at every red light. One day he snapped the headtube off, and RMB gave him an Element Race as a replacement frame (of course not knowing HOW he killed the frame). As to rarity... not sure what the big deal is, they were just litespeeds really. Rocky didn't make any themselves.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I think there are those made by Sandvik and those made by, uh, someone else (litespeed? - really don't know!). The sandvik one's are those that won't break too easily. I think there were about 50 or so made but few "survived". Some frames broke and were not replaced with other ti frames just as in the example above!.
So now more input please. Any more (and better) knowledge about the tubes and welders?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Pooh Bear said:
Oh, I think there are those made by Sandvik and those made by, uh, someone else (litespeed? - really don't know!). The sandvik one's are those that won't break too easily. I think there were about 50 or so made but few "survived". Some frames broke and were not replaced with other ti frames just as in the example above!.
So now more input please. Any more (and better) knowledge about the tubes and welders?
I think the small run bike you are talking about is the older monostay ti bike that was built in 89 or 90. The bike's tubing was really small for Ti. My friend's tibolt is pretty stout.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
donk said:
I think the small run bike you are talking about is the older monostay ti bike that was built in 89 or 90. The bike's tubing was really small for Ti. My friend's tibolt is pretty stout.

I think there were some ti bolts made by litespeed that broke easily and some by sandvik (like in the pictures above - same frame year 1993 sandvik) that lastet. the latter are stout. Right. And they are not monostay. The seatstays actually look thicker than the chainstays of some steel bikes from that era.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle part

But, I am not quite sure whether this information is correct so please, add some more!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
We've got a customer who has two of them. I think there's probably more than 20 left world wide at least that many in BC.

·
Holy Chromoly!!
542 Posts
DeeEight said:
As to rarity... not sure what the big deal is, they were just litespeeds really. Rocky didn't make any themselves.
As I recall all were made at Sandvik. The one here above shows clear signs of a typical Sandvik-built frame. The other Ti RM modell also had more Sandvik details than Litespeed-ish. Could be wrong on the oldest modell, but the later wishboned Ti-Bolt were Sandvik for sure.

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
DeeEight said:
As to rarity... not sure what the big deal is, they were just litespeeds really. Rocky didn't make any themselves.
My feelings exactly, though they were not LiteSpeed. One of the many, many Sanvik bikes that flooded the Ti market. Nice, but not all that IMHO.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the frame above is sandvik made - the sandvik sticker is still attached ;) I just don't have a picture of it...

:cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanx for posting my bike, winnie. now everyone knows it exists and I can´t ever leave it alone anymore. I planned to make it public when rumour goes that there is still ONE left. But rumour has been here that it is just a sandvik-frame like thousands more. Maybe, but with a cool sticker indeed. And most important, as ugly as it is today, it fits me perfect, although horizontal dropouts would be cool.

where are they? I know that there are 4 in germany. two by members of the ibc-classic forum, there is the own in my room( hope so) and there is one frame not in use anymore owned by a guy I meet irregulary in LEipzig. I´ve got photos of his bike i´ll post later.
You all seem to know a guy who knows a guy, who knows... Haven´t you got any pics?
I want to see them although i fear mine is the ugliest one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
One from the UK

My 93' Ti Bolt - just dismantled the frame and will be on ebay in the next week or so.

Attachments

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why E?

Why ebay? ;)

Try an MTBR ad. It will be in good hands then. Maybe in mine?
PM me some price you want to have...

It's an 18", right? :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pooh,

ebay because I have no idea what they go for these days. Like you said, Id prefer it to go to a good home! :thumbsup:

Its a 17.5 inch (seat tube top to centre bb)

ill let you know when its put up for sale

·
Registered
211 Posts
it looks like 18,5". Can´t you see it. You seems to be a bear of little brain.

Oh! yes! buy it! it would be cool.
Oh, but? no! no!
;though it would be cool. Maybe we could leave them alone in a tent in a full moon night and few month later yours would bear a 14,5", suspension corrected and with disc mounts.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I promised some pics.
here is the one tibolt wich isn´t in use anymore. Owner is a guy called Steffen in LEipzig/germany.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh ah!

Now I seems to be of little brain: They come in x.5 inches...
So I didn't see from the pics that its 17.5. Cool.
So pooka you thought it to be 18.5". Now you seems to be of little eyes...

Anyways I hope you ship to Germany then ;) A Tibolt in my home would be great. :thumbsup:

I think the not-in-use-anymore-tibolt in Leipzig looks way overbuilt in this picture. Too many things on it. Or maybe it's just those wheels which I don't like because they catch the eye too much while not rolling.

The british one looks quite nice with those red bolts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just got a NOS decal set for it too. Should help to spruce it up to its original glory

1 - 20 of 65 Posts