Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
What about the new Spot Mayhem? In the "high" setting, it's listed at 344.
Geo looks good. I've never ridden a spot, heard they're good. 344mm will be good at sag with 170mm cranks or shorter IMHO. You'll peddle through a lot more. Leverage rate and compression are important obviously.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I had the previous version and found it to be an excellent pedaler when on smoother less technical terrain. However when things got rough the anti squat made technicals stuff more difficult and tiresome. On successive small bumps it was quite chatterley too

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk
Disregard what I said lol. I hate a bike that hangs up, or falls into travel.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Overall the new bikes are better on ups and downs but kinda tough on flats unless you get your fit dialed.

Agreed. I own a Process 134. The end result is great, but getting the right fit (for the more levelish, rocky rides) was a real chore. It’s like manufacturers think we’re all riding trails that are either straight up or straight down.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Agreed. I own a Process 134. The end result is great, but getting the right fit (for the more levelish, rocky rides) was a real chore. It’s like manufacturers think we’re all riding trails that are either straight up or straight down.
I'm riding mostly in Montgomery county, so you know, rolling hills- hated my V4 Ripley- gave it 2 months.

Ironically my Riot didn't bother my hands/wrist, but I feel like that was because of the shorter ETT and taller stack put me in a more upright seated position

·
Registered
89 Posts
IMHO a 130r/150f is perfect for the Shed and less is needed pretty much elsewhere. My wife rides a Wreckoning because the STA is slacker than the Offering, she's an Evil fan girl. We ride the few trails that warrent a bigger bike and Pisgah often enough to put a bigger bike to use.
What trails/ style do you ride? Ever since you got me pointed in the right direction at the watershed (thanks again btw) I've been there once or twice a week and loving it.

I'm keeping an eye on new bikes in case my 14 year old 26'er does something I can't get parts for.

I was looking at 130r/140f bikes or so. Generally I'm riding from the top lot of hamburg. Pretty much anything that's single track is what I'm riding there... none of the freeride stuff, no doubles/tables, not bombing down stuff and shuttling or anything like that.

I've been getting along with my Kona Dawg 127r/120f but keep thinking just a little more might be nice up front. I'm not a big dude though...160 or so. You think I need to look at something a little higher travel?

I'm spoiled with bottom bracket height though...I think it's 355mm, but not running the 44t ring up front, just a cheap bash guard. So much nicer than it used to be.

I was surprised how low the bb is on newer bikes. I figured they'd be up higher considering the wheel and frame changes. Interesting to see all the changes after being out of it for so long.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
I tend to ride Thursdays and Sundays all day, and evenings. Yeah I know you're pain lol. 13.75" BB and 165mm cranks. And still get strikes here and there. So much to peddle, but not nearly as many as most do...I'm not racheting for miles lol. My Riot is black an orange. My wife rides a rootbeer Wreckoning.
I might see you up there on a Sunday then. I've been riding with some folks in Michaux on the weekends this past summer, but still like to get rides in up there. I'm on a mango Hightower - not exactly subtle...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Disregard what I said lol. I hate a bike that hangs up, or falls into travel.
Funny - I don't mind bikes with higher antisquat since they keep the bike higher in its travel when pedaling through rock gardens. I can't deal with the designs that sink into their travel though. That feeling drives me crazy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
What trails/ style do you ride? Ever since you got me pointed in the right direction at the watershed (thanks again btw) I've been there once or twice a week and loving it.

...Generally I'm riding from the top lot of hamburg. Pretty much anything that's single track is what I'm riding there... none of the freeride stuff, no doubles/tables, not bombing down stuff and shuttling or anything like that.
Have you ridden the trails in the northern part of the Watershed like Salamander, Vandal or Pit? Those are some of my favorites, and are great if you want classic watershed XC-style riding. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, you need to go hit Boundary Line. Its got jumps and doubles on it, but you can avoid taking air on them and that trail is a ton of fun to go down. It also has the only decent berms in the watershed.

I was looking at 130r/140f bikes or so. I've been getting along with my Kona Dawg 127r/120f but keep thinking just a little more might be nice up front. I'm not a big dude though...160 or so. You think I need to look at something a little higher travel?

I was surprised how low the bb is on newer bikes. I figured they'd be up higher considering the wheel and frame changes. Interesting to see all the changes after being out of it for so long.
If you can ride everything you want to ride, then I wouldn't necessarily be looking for another bike. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the newer geometries put you in a better position to avoid going OTB, and the newer suspension is generally better as well. I've already done my rant in this thread regarding how low bikes are nowadays, but I would definitely be aware of this if/when you are shopping around. I rented an Ibis Ripmo when I was out west last year and I really liked it. But it felt very low to me. I bumped into someone riding one in the watershed and he confirmed that he gets a lot of pedal strikes with it. Every design has its trade-offs for sure....

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

I'm keeping an eye on new bikes in case my 14 year old 26'er does something I can't get parts for.

I was looking at 130r/140f bikes or so. Generally I'm riding from the top lot of hamburg. Pretty much anything that's single track is what I'm riding there... none of the freeride stuff, no doubles/tables, not bombing down stuff and shuttling or anything like that.

I've been getting along with my Kona Dawg 127r/120f but keep thinking just a little more might be nice up front. I'm not a big dude though...160 or so. You think I need to look at something a little higher travel?

I'm spoiled with bottom bracket height though...I think it's 355mm, but not running the 44t ring up front, just a cheap bash guard. So much nicer than it used to be.

Ride what you have until it holds you back. More travel isn't necessary there until your speed picks up. Which is hard to do there until you know the trails.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I might see you up there on a Sunday then. I've been riding with some folks in Michaux on the weekends this past summer, but still like to get rides in up there. I'm on a mango Hightower - not exactly subtle...
I'm pretty sure I have seen you than. I love orange bikes lol.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Funny - I don't mind bikes with higher antisquat since they keep the bike higher in its travel when pedaling through rock gardens. I can't deal with the designs that sink into their travel though. That feeling drives me crazy.
I like bikes with around 100% AS. Suspension design is important too much at sag hangs up...but Id ride a Knolly if I didn't care about it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
For the OP check out the Revel Rascal. I'd put a 150mm fork on it to raise it up a bit, the suspension has 100% antisquat and dosen't hang up. Unother bike that really has my attention is the Forbidden Druid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you ridden the trails in the northern part of the Watershed like Salamander, Vandal or Pit? Those are some of my favorites, and are great if you want classic watershed XC-style riding. Also, if you haven't tried it yet, you need to go hit Boundary Line. Its got jumps and doubles on it, but you can avoid taking air on them and that trail is a ton of fun to go down. It also has the only decent berms in the watershed.

If you can ride everything you want to ride, then I wouldn't necessarily be looking for another bike. But, there is no doubt in my mind that the newer geometries put you in a better position to avoid going OTB, and the newer suspension is generally better as well. I've already done my rant in this thread regarding how low bikes are nowadays, but I would definitely be aware of this if/when you are shopping around. I rented an Ibis Ripmo when I was out west last year and I really liked it. But it felt very low to me. I bumped into someone riding one in the watershed and he confirmed that he gets a lot of pedal strikes with it. Every design has its trade-offs for sure....
Those trails I'm going to get to this month and check them out. I'm closer to the south so usually when I goI'll park at lower hamburg, sometimes upper if I only have 90 minutes or so to ride (2 kids, work, etc etc.). Twice a month I get out for a longer ride so I'll probably ride salamander out to the end of blue near Cunningham and back blue then maybe check out pit and viper.

The middle part of the blue trail is pretty much my wheelhouse... that nice moderate climb with rocks and roots down the other side.

Planning to ride what I have until I have an undying urge or parts failure that can't be reasonably fixed. It's old but I'm still liking it for sure.

I do have an even older bike that's like an old school freeride light that's about 6 inches front and back that I might take down the south side sometime soon. It weighs almost 40 lbs though, so definitely not going all over on that one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ride what you have until it holds you back. More travel isn't necessary there until your speed picks up. Which is hard to do there until you know the trails.
Agree with that... one or two oh **** moments have occurred...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I'm riding mostly in Montgomery county, so you know, rolling hills- hated my V4 Ripley- gave it 2 months.

Ironically my Riot didn't bother my hands/wrist, but I feel like that was because of the shorter ETT and taller stack put me in a more upright seated position
No doubt you didn't like the Ripley. You have said it a a bazillion times. It didn't work for you. It's ok. Certain bikes don't work for you and me. But geez, you have a vendetta against the Ripley.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
No doubt you didn't like the Ripley. You have said it a a bazillion times. It didn't work for you. It's ok. Certain bikes don't work for you and me. But geez, you have a vendetta against the Ripley.

Not at all. On one and still own 2. Should I not share my experience when someone asks? I've even said the V4 may have worked if I sized down, would have been very close to my Riot.

Why do you think so many similar threads pop up? I just share my experience as a counter to all the people that say the new geo is perfect everywhere and it's you, you just need to get used to it etc..

Not everyone is on here as much of some of us, so they don't see other threads where people have had similar experiences. He asked about a ride everywhere bike- I disagree as obviously some others in this thread and others do, that the new geo trend isn't a good ride everywhere bike.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
How is the Santa Cruz HIGHTOWER? Pedal strikes on 175 cranks?
Great for FountainHead, Elizabeth’s Furnace...
Likes and dislikes?
Thank you!

·
Registered
734 Posts
How is the Santa Cruz HIGHTOWER? Pedal strikes on 175 cranks?
Great for FountainHead, Elizabeth’s Furnace...
Likes and dislikes?
Thank you!
While I definitely have to be careful, I don’t get many pedal strikes with my 2018 Hightower riding in the Frederick Watershed and Michaux. I am running 175mm cranks, but I also use the following configuration:
- 29” wheels
- Flipchip in high setting (this is the recommended setting when running 27.5+ tires)
- 150mm fork (stock is 140mm)

Again, this is a V1 Hightower. The V2 models (shock in the lower position on the frame) sit lower and have more travel - I think pedal strikes will be a bigger issue with the V2 model. Of course, this is armchair engineering - only one way to know for sure...

21 - 40 of 60 Posts