Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been taking Paxil for about a year now (no, NOT bragging about that!).
20mg, sometimes I'll break it in half and halve the dose to 10mg for a week or so.

It seems when there's a lot in my system, although my temperament is better, my fitness and climbing suffers. I don't "get my legs" until I kind of blow up, and then I can climb, but not as hard or for as long.

When I let the crap get out of my system for a while by not taking it, I seem to be able to start harder (like in racing), and either less lactic buildup, or can simply tolerate it better.

Is there a relationship?

Thanks a bunch
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Drugs should only be taken

mtnbkrdr98 said:
I've been taking Paxil for about a year now (no, NOT bragging about that!).
20mg, sometimes I'll break it in half and halve the dose to 10mg for a week or so.

It seems when there's a lot in my system, although my temperament is better, my fitness and climbing suffers. I don't "get my legs" until I kind of blow up, and then I can climb, but not as hard or for as long.

When I let the crap get out of my system for a while by not taking it, I seem to be able to start harder (like in racing), and either less lactic buildup, or can simply tolerate it better.

Is there a relationship?

Thanks a bunch
for recreational purposes. I feel sorry for the weak minded poor slobs that buy into a daily drug addiction just because a "Dr." prescribed it to their whiney well insured a$$.
Suck it up Nancy, EVERYONE HURTS SOMETIME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that's a really well-educated response

Bike Nazi said:
for recreational purposes. I feel sorry for the weak minded poor slobs that buy into a daily drug addiction just because a "Dr." prescribed it to their whiney well insured a$$.
Suck it up Nancy, EVERYONE HURTS SOMETIME.
I'm not well insured.
By the way, I asked for the opinion and knowledge of an MD mountain biker
not a pea-brained dork.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
I had one patient with a similar complaint although she was a runner, not a biker. She switched to lexapro and is doing ok so far on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll research that

Impy said:
I had one patient with a similar complaint although she was a runner, not a biker. She switched to lexapro and is doing ok so far on that.
Thanks for pointing me in that direction.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,722 Posts
thats a pretty ignorant approach

Bike Nazi said:
for recreational purposes. I feel sorry for the weak minded poor slobs that buy into a daily drug addiction just because a "Dr." prescribed it to their whiney well insured a$$.
Suck it up Nancy, EVERYONE HURTS SOMETIME.
to determining why this person takes paxil. If you cant be of help why post a response?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
Ummm, He is going to MTBR.COM for medical advice

jrm said:
to determining why this person takes paxil. If you cant be of help why post a response?
to increase his cardio performance that's been hampered from taking anti depressants, you don't find this ironic or moronic or something like that?
So what do you prescribe good doctor? Maybe we should take him off of Paxil and prescribe EPO? Would that make you happy NANCY?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,673 Posts
I'm not a Doctor or an expert on Anti Depressants.

If the Paxil is clogging up your system have you tried taking more anti-oxidants? Specifically things like milk thistle extract which detoxifies your liver as well as more Vitamins A,C,E and selenium which may help clear the paxil out of your system a bit better.

Whilst in Hospital I was on Prozac for several months which made me "hyper". It didn't do much for my moods but excess energy is always a good thing to have on the bike. I've read a few things about racers who've said it made them go well cycling too.

That's entirely circumstantial though as I'm not on it now and have never taken it whilst healthy enough to ride a bike.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Bike Nazi said:
to increase his cardio performance that's been hampered from taking anti depressants, you don't find this ironic or moronic or something like that?
So what do you prescribe good doctor? Maybe we should take him off of Paxil and prescribe EPO? Would that make you happy NANCY?
Paxil is the anti-depressant...not a performance enhancer...read and understand the post before you reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's not a bad idea

WR304 said:
I'm not a Doctor or an expert on Anti Depressants.

If the Paxil is clogging up your system have you tried taking more anti-oxidants? Specifically things like milk thistle extract which detoxifies your liver as well as more Vitamins A,C,E and selenium which may help clear the paxil out of your system a bit better.

Whilst in Hospital I was on Prozac for several months which made me "hyper". It didn't do much for my moods but excess energy is always a good thing to have on the bike. I've read a few things about racers who've said it made them go well cycling too.

That's entirely circumstantial though as I'm not on it now and have never taken it whilst healthy enough to ride a bike.:)
I do take E, Beta Carotene, every day and sometimes add C. I'll try the selenium.

thanks bud
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Check it out, Nancy

Bike Nazi said:
for recreational purposes. I feel sorry for the weak minded poor slobs that buy into a daily drug addiction just because a "Dr." prescribed it to their whiney well insured a$$.
Suck it up Nancy, EVERYONE HURTS SOMETIME.
Live in SW Idaho but know your fav trail. I like climbing and cleaning all the switchbacks
up San Juan, of which only one or two are technical at all... then heading up from Cocktail rock dropping into the forest and out to the good stuff.

Climb up to Blue Jay campground then rip back down San Juan back to the car off Orgeta Hwy. So don't tell me yer the sheet in OC; I live in Idaho and I'm STILL the sheet down there!

YOu know any names like Coyote drop, Jehovah Witness, Telonics, Steps, Direct Dial?

So I know how to rip, Sheila, just trying to get less sucky goin up, like up Blackstar to the Silverado Motorway.

Anyway, I'm 1000 miles north of there now.

Later, Nancy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
There is a theory called "central fatigue" that suggests the perception of being tired doesn't just come from the active muscles, breathing apparatus, and heart, but something in your brain. It has been theorized that this is mediated by serotonin, the neurotransmitter increased by Paxil. Several randomized clinical trials [research where the subjects are given the active drug or a placebo; data is collected 'blindly' and then analyzed] have FAILED to show SSRI's as decreasing exercise tolerance/performance, and in one study, a serotonin antagonist failed to increase performance.

Now, my usual caveat: EACH of us is an INDIVIDUAL. Your body may be the exception to the rule...but before you decide this, you might want to try a more objective measure, instead of just how you are feeling. A sustainable power test, timed hill climb, time trial, etc. might give you a more accurate picture.

If you decide it is impacting riding enough to be an issue, discuss this with your doc, and consider a different class of antidepressant. Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron all act in a different fashion...might or might not work clinically...might or might not make a difference in your riding...only one way to find out!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
I bow to Ida'ho

mtnbkrdr98 said:
Live in SW Idaho but know your fav trail. I like climbing and cleaning all the switchbacks
up San Juan, of which only one or two are technical at all... then heading up from Cocktail rock dropping into the forest and out to the good stuff.

Climb up to Blue Jay campground then rip back down San Juan back to the car off Orgeta Hwy. So don't tell me yer the sheet in OC; I live in Idaho and I'm STILL the sheet down there!

YOu know any names like Coyote drop, Jehovah Witness, Telonics, Steps, Direct Dial?

So I know how to rip, Sheila, just trying to get less sucky goin up, like up Blackstar to the Silverado Motorway.

Anyway, I'm 1000 miles north of there now.

Later, Nancy
Can I have your autograph?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank ya

MTBDOC said:
There is a theory called "central fatigue" that suggests the perception of being tired doesn't just come from the active muscles, breathing apparatus, and heart, but something in your brain. It has been theorized that this is mediated by serotonin, the neurotransmitter increased by Paxil. Several randomized clinical trials [research where the subjects are given the active drug or a placebo; data is collected 'blindly' and then analyzed] have FAILED to show SSRI's as decreasing exercise tolerance/performance, and in one study, a serotonin antagonist failed to increase performance.

Now, my usual caveat: EACH of us is an INDIVIDUAL. Your body may be the exception to the rule...but before you decide this, you might want to try a more objective measure, instead of just how you are feeling. A sustainable power test, timed hill climb, time trial, etc. might give you a more accurate picture.

If you decide it is impacting riding enough to be an issue, discuss this with your doc, and consider a different class of antidepressant. Effexor, Wellbutrin, Remeron all act in a different fashion...might or might not work clinically...might or might not make a difference in your riding...only one way to find out!
For that insight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I'm an ER doc

and I know that of the SSRI's Paxil is more sedating than the other SSRI's. A lot of people actually gain weight while on Paxil. Prozac is a little more "activating" meaning that it gives some people more energy and has less of a sedating effect. If I were you I would try Paxil or one of the newer SSRI's. There's lots of them, they all are relatively safe, its just a matter of finding the best one for you. I would talk to your doc about changing to a different one and try it for 6 weeks. Good luck, hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Sorry Im Kinda Late But I Hope This Could Help

paxil and other antidepressant drugs generally can reduce one's stamina. some of the side effects of antidepressant drugs are weakness and fatigue, dry mouth, decrease libido, increase or decreased appetite, and even anxiety. however, i suggest you to switch to prozac or zoloft which are more tolerable than other andtidep drugs. in fact these two drugs are sometimes called "wonder drugs" because of very tolerable if not, no side effects at all.trust me, i am also taking these 2 drugs for 3 years now due to serotonin imbalance.

When I let the crap get out of my system for a while by not taking it, I seem to be able to start harder (like in racing), and either less lactic buildup, or can simply tolerate it better.

Is there a relationship?

Thanks a bunch[/QUOTE]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
ARITAO_BIKER said:
paxil and other antidepressant drugs generally can reduce one's stamina. some of the side effects of antidepressant drugs are weakness and fatigue, dry mouth, decrease libido, increase or decreased appetite, and even anxiety. however, i suggest you to switch to prozac or zoloft which are more tolerable than other andtidep drugs. in fact these two drugs are sometimes called "wonder drugs" because of very tolerable if not, no side effects at all.trust me, i am also taking these 2 drugs for 3 years now due to serotonin imbalance.

When I let the crap get out of my system for a while by not taking it, I seem to be able to start harder (like in racing), and either less lactic buildup, or can simply tolerate it better.

Is there a relationship?

Thanks a bunch
[/QUOTE]
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top