Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, it's a road bike, so if it bugs you, just ignore me:D

I have a chance to pick up a ~18 year old Masi 3V for about 6 bills, full Campy Super Record. Seems a good deal, just wanted to check and see what the deal was. Prices are all over the map, and I don't claim to be an expert. I know theres, CA built ones, and Italy built ones, and that's about as deep as I go.

Thoughts?

Beside ghost ride it (Rumpfy) :p

·
Registered
593 Posts
price sounds good

the 3 Volumetricas are nice but most collectors seek the Gran Criteriums. You can contact Jim @ CyclArt if you want some info on the bike. Or go to their website, I think there's some articles on the CA built Masis that will give you more info.

good luck

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I know a little about Masi :)cool:) and like haaki mentioned, Gran Criteriums are more "collectible," especially the earlier 70's Carlsbad built models during the days of Baylis, Confente, et. al. However, the 3V may be a better rider because of the oversized tubes and 6 bills for a complete SR bike sounds pretty good if the frame still has a decent paint job. BTW, the purple "Team 3V" frames with the Power Bar stickers are less collectible because they were kind of a production frame that was sold to racers.

·
Registered
593 Posts
you can sometimes tell

by the serial number (or added letter) who built the frame. Let's not forget Dave Moulton.
Masi Carlsbad became the training ground for a group of soon to be legendary frame builders.

ah Confente, his lugs look like polished jewels

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
$600 for that Masi is OK. not great but OK. if it's super clean and your size i'd say go for it.

i have a Masi myself. i live in San Diego and the Carlsbad CA built Masi's are top dog around here. we actually have a Masi Ride where Masi's get together and ride from down town SD to the old Masi factory maybe 30-40 miles away.

my Masi is also outside the 1970's highly collectible range but is collectible for another reason. it was built by Dave Moulton in late 1981 for the early 1982 New York bicycle trade show. it is the only Aero Masi ever made. it has Aero tubing with all Dura Ace AX components. just happens to be my size too. still working on cleaning it up.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
haaki said:
by the serial number (or added letter) who built the frame. Let's not forget Dave Moulton.
Masi Carlsbad became the training ground for a group of soon to be legendary frame builders.

ah Confente, his lugs look like polished jewels
That's true on some years, but the early Carlsbad Masis had a serial number that began with MC. Many people believe that stands for Mario Confente, but it simply means Masi Carlsbad. Somewhere in the web-o-sphere is a definitive serial number list.

Actually, Chuey would know the most about those early Masi frames as he worked at Masi as a filer during that era.

·
Registered
593 Posts
agreed

ssmike said:
That's true on some years, but the early Carlsbad Masis had a serial number that began with MC. Many people believe that stands for Mario Confente, but it simply means Masi Carlsbad. Somewhere in the web-o-sphere is a definitive serial number list.

Actually, Chuey would know the most about those early Masi frames as he worked at Masi as a filer during that era.
I think the MC was actually Masi California, but that is still disputed, though early jerseys that came with bikes said Masi California.
Many of Mario's have no numbers as they were custom
I used to work next door to CyclArt so I had plenty of Masi Lore. I never got one as I'm a bigger rider and would need a 3V to avoid flex in a 60-61 Cm frame.

good sources

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Masi_usa_main.htm

http://bhovey.com/Masi/masidates.htm

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
hmmm... the 3V LOOOKS awesome but...seems it's not the best ride this side of classic 80s road bikes. something about the oversized internal ligged construction didn't make magic happen.
there was a white one at the LBS and i could not stop admiring it w/ all those flags painted. otoh the owner liked his Pinarello better.

·
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Veloculture said:
it is the only Aero Masi ever made. it has Aero tubing with all Dura Ace AX components.
That's hot! Thanks for all the info guys:thumbsup: I'll try to work a better deal to make it worth the effort. It's one of these eBay things, guy wants my item, and wants to trade me the bike, and several hundred of my dollars. Seems a good deal, a bit too small for me, but I may just sell it through my shop. Or, if the parts are clean, use them for another build. Who knows. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I liked the ride of the 3v's there were 2 versions at the time one with other company logo's on the top tube and the "naked" version. The pitch was the logos helped lower the cost of the frame as it was advertising space that was sold. The Grand Crits were definitly sexy though. If you could talk the guy down from 6 that makes the deal so much better, good luck!

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,171 Posts
that rear AX derailleur had a semi-indexing feature; I cannot remember which direction, but one way was friction and the other indexing; the indexing is on the RD and not the shifter.

·
16,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently this is an Italian Masi, no CM in the serial #. Any thoughts on the transitional ones, not so much dollar wise, (I'm not here to pillage info and profit) but in terms of interest, quality, etc. He sent me some pics, mighty dark, but it looks to be in reasonable shape, but not super.

Attachments

·
artistic...
7,652 Posts
haaki said:
it was most likely built by the 'tailor' as Faliero Masi was known. At a minimum, under his guidance.
get it
i read somewhere the 3Vs were designed by Faliero's son.. my memory is not that reliable anyway.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
OK just a pedantic question, is the group Super Record or Record? We all know the difference between Nuovo and Record, but SR is special. The difference between Record and Super is titanium hub and pedal axles, and BB spindle mostly. Record gets called SR all the time because people don't remember the difference. Too many years on the CR list has pounded it into my brain. Either way it's worth $600, heck if it was just Nuovo it would be worth that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.