Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
I dont made own experiences with the Ufo, but I read in german forums, that the Ufo is a very soft rim. I had simillar experiences with other Sun rims. So it depends on your weight and style to ride I think.
From my point of view is the Olympic the much better rim and furthermore a good choise if you plan to go tubeless sometime.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put the v-brake version of the Sun UFO rims on the front and the rear of my bike about 5 years ago (it might have been a different version than the current one, but for sure it looks the same, even the sticker). The rear one got trashed pretty fast - it wasn't built properly for sure. But the front one has been amazing during all these years: I used it for the first 2 years, and then put it on my wife's bike (since then it didn't get used too much). What's amazing is that in all these 5 years all I did was minor adjustments, nothing major - there's even a groove along the brake surfaces made by the brake pads from that much braking.
For sure the rim is strong enough if the wheel is built properly. Also, it has eyelets which helps with the tension distribution.

On the other hand, the Stan's rims don't have eyelets, but the 100nm tension limit shouldn't make any damages to the rim around the nipples (mine didn't and I've built them both to 100 - 105). I went with the 355 rims as they are stiffer laterally than the Olympics (which, on the other hand, are stiffer radially). Mine came in at 360 and 351 grams. The one on the rear has almost a year now and I'm happy with it.

Vlad: you can go with the Alpine, which is the [supposedly] improved version of the Olympic (lighter alloy, lower bead socket which saves weight too).

·
"They Call Me Bone'z"
1,609 Posts
i have the sun EQ'21's their plenty strong. i have mine set up with hope pro II's and DT revo's and the whole wheel set only came in about 40g over the calculated weight. so they are fairly close to their advertised weight.
The ONLY downside i have found is these rims are narrow. it makes some tires a pain to get on. great rims other then that.

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
The 4.2 is very soft at the side walls. If you get a snakebite, you get also a dent in the rims side wall. DT say its a feature, I say its a bug. I rode them one saison and would never buy this rim anymore.
There are others out there which are much stronger and also lighter (and unfortunately more expensive ;-)

·
Cannondale Maros Team
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I run tubeless, so I will do the same with the 4.2D

I am also only 63-65kg, and I have a full suspension. So I think that it will help a bit.

I'll try to find out more about the 4.2. IF what I'll hear is not ok, I'll sell them and get maybe the ZTR Olympic even if there are more expensive.

Maybe you can tell me more about the 4.2?

I've heard bad things about the mavic 717d but after 2 year there still hold on...

·
sometimes cheeky
128 Posts
With your weight the 4.2 is maybe OK regarding snakebites and dents (stiffness anyway).
But you would go tubeless and therefore the NoTubes are the best rims out there at the moment.
I used 4.2, FRM XMD, FRM FL-M12, American Classic and some NoTubes rims tubeless and the NoTubes are in a own class above all the others.
The tires fit more exactly and sealing is very easy. Mostly no compressor is needed and in puncture case (and lealing via latexmilk) you are able to finish a race with 1,4 Bar (and maybe less) in 1,9" tires (happend to me to times last season).

With your weight you can think about a Alpine or Race (if you are a competent wheel builder), but these are not cheap ;-)

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Velocity vxc is right around that 400 gram mark as well. With DT240s and DB14's they were at 1600 grams. No, not super light by today's ww standards, but not bad and strong. Had great luck with mine when I rode a 26" bike. They are just sitting and waiting for my 9 year old to grow just a little more so I can build him a 26" mtb. Although they are at about 1800 grams now due to a formula rear hub. The 240's went on my 29er wheels.
G

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.