Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Deer Valley is about a 30 minute drive from downtown SLC, and has lift-served DH trails open Wednesday through Sunday. Brian Head has trails as well, but it's about a 4 hour drive from SLick City. If you get hooked up with the right riders (wink nudge) you could get some stellar shuttles in.

·
The Sentinel
530 Posts
Snowbasin offers lift-serviced trails also

Snowbasin is about 45 minutes north of SLC. Their trails are a little less technical than the Deer Valley ones, at a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nah, we don't do much for rentals. Between the initial cost of a DH bike, the insurance required to be able to rent them, and the cost of replacing broken parts and maintanance, we figured a serious DH rental would cost the customer around $100 per day. Deer Valley has some 6" and 7" rentals available at the mid-mountain center that are pretty reasonably priced, if I recall.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Resorts with DH Lift Access

snowborder said:
I have a 2 or 3 day trip planned in mid August to SLC (Salt Lake). Just curious who and where offered what? Any suggestions?
Solitude Mountain Resort
About 30 minutes from downtown SLC -- They may have a limited schedule for lifts, best to check their website

Snowbird Mountain Resort -- About 45 minutes from downtown SLC. I'm pretty sure that you can ride the tram with your bike during the summer months. I would also check their webiste to verify this. Maybe other MTBR members will know for sure.

Deer Valley Resort -- Approx 1 hour from downtown SLC. The undisputed king of lift access DH riding in Northern Utah.

Brianhead Resort -- Approx 3 hours from SLC. Second only to Deer Valley.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I opted for Deer Valley. Rented a Cannondale Gemini.

Deer Valley Rocked. I literally melted the Brakes on the NCS Downhill course. NICE!

Blew out a seal on the last 100 yards going into the lift Area last run of the day. :D

·
Living the Dream
1,783 Posts
Looking for same info

How much was your bike rental? Did it have DC or SC fork & what kind of fork was it? Was Deer valley trails enough fun for two days or should I plan on riding some other trails in the Park City area as well? THanks for any info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alpenglow said:
How much was your bike rental? Did it have DC or SC fork & what kind of fork was it? Was Deer valley trails enough fun for two days or should I plan on riding some other trails in the Park City area as well? THanks for any info.
It had Cannodale's Single Sided Fork. It was a bit surprised on how the fork performed although it was not the best.

Bike was like $40 for the day. I brought my own gear though.

Fun enough for 2 days depending on your ability and if you also climb.

I got my bike through Christy Sports at the Stein Erikson area. It looked like the Stein Erikson Shop had better bikes though. Check em out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alpenglow said:
I live in SLC and I've been into cross country riding for ages. I went to Whistler in July and had a religious experience. I rediscovered how much fun mountain biking can be. Sice coming back, I've been up to DV a couple of times this summer and I've rented from Stein Eriksen at Silver Lake Village.

I rented a Kona Stinky for $37/4 hours and a Rocky Mountain RMX for $47/4 hours. They have Kona Stabs for the same price as the RMX, I think.

DV doesn't have a huge number of trails for downhill. There's really only three or four that I would call true "downhill" trails. Those are natural terrain for the most part, steep with lots of roots, rocks, drop offs, etc. Bring or rent armor. Other than that, everything there can be quite easily ridden on a cross country bike. If you're into CC, the Park City area has a lot of options for you.

If you're in the area for a couple of days, spend one at Deer Valley and spend the other on other trails in the area. I recommend the Mid Mountain Trail and/or the Wasatch Crest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.