Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a new bike (hopefully before my next race) and these two look pretty promising. I am just going to stick with a ht so I can get better components. These bikes both cut about 5lbs off my current ride.
Anyone else have one? love it? hate it?
one lbs is getting the trek in for me next week. I am going to go to a different one (neither carries both lines) today and ask them to get the cannondale in for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
brownieinSC said:
I am going to get a new bike (hopefully before my next race) and these two look pretty promising. I am just going to stick with a ht so I can get better components. These bikes both cut about 5lbs off my current ride.
Anyone else have one? love it? hate it?
one lbs is getting the trek in for me next week. I am going to go to a different one (neither carries both lines) today and ask them to get the cannondale in for me.
Not a lady, but since noone else has 2 cents to spare................

The only concern I would have with the Cannondale is front suspension travel. Depends on what you want and your riding style. The HeadShock will give you around 3 inches of travel, I believe. I have had 2 Cannondale hardtails (F700 and F600) and I liked them and they are what I started racing on. Hopefully you will be able to test ride on a trail and not in a parking lot.

Brian

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It'll be a parking lot test

I am a XC person. I have only had/used the fork on my Specialized Rockhopper. I don't think the one on the Cannondale, which is a much better quaility bike than my first one, will be any issue.
The guy who was trying to sell me a trek was really dogging Cannondale out even though he told me he had four. I know he was trying to make a sell but he took it a bit overboard. Then when I test a Trek 6700 (no 8000 in stock) the crankset was having some serious shifting issues. Probably just an adjustment but what a bad first impression.

·
Registered
77 Posts
brownieinSC said:
I am a XC person. I have only had/used the fork on my Specialized Rockhopper. I don't think the one on the Cannondale, which is a much better quaility bike than my first one, will be any issue.
The guy who was trying to sell me a trek was really dogging Cannondale out even though he told me he had four. I know he was trying to make a sell but he took it a bit overboard. Then when I test a Trek 6700 (no 8000 in stock) the crankset was having some serious shifting issues. Probably just an adjustment but what a bad first impression.
Not much chatter in this thread......

The shifting issues are more than likely an indication of the dealer's lack of attention to detail. I hope there is another Trek dealer in the area. Just curious.... What did he say about Cannondale? You might find some good opinions in the reviews section of this web page.

Brian

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He commented on the fork

The guy said it was the worst fork known to man. As soon as he said that my husband tuned him out.
I asked over in the 'Lets talk about shocks' forum and the comments were positive.

·
Registered
77 Posts
brownieinSC said:
The guy said it was the worst fork known to man. As soon as he said that my husband tuned him out.
I asked over in the 'Lets talk about shocks' forum and the comments were positive.
It definitely has some advantages over the traditional style forks. Mine have been pretty low maintenance too. One had a seal replaced after 8 years and the other has had no issues in 2 years.

If you want some good information on Cannondales, the "Ask the USCF Mechanic" forum on the TarheelTrailblazers web page (www.tarheeltrailblazers.com) is moderated by a great mechanic who was a Cannondale mechanic for quite a few years and now has his own shop.

Brian

·
Foreign Entity
275 Posts
The general pitch of slagging other brands in order to sell your own is seen all too frequently these days, and turns many people off the brand the person is actually trying to sell.

Cannondale and Trek are both good bikes with strong and weak points, the best way to find the bike suited to you is to test ride them both under the same or similar conditions and decide from there.
If you're looking at bikes in a price range, you will also want to compare component specs for the similar priced bikes, generally Trek will win in this area, but not always, it comes down to what you want in the long term.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
really like my trek 8000. been riding an 8000 since '99. it's a nice, quick, responsive bike. my only complaint is that i can't seem to find a position on it that doesn't make my back hurt, but i think that may be because the top tube is a bit too short.

fwiw, i'm riding an '01 8000 wsd in an XS with none of the original parts on it.

rt

·
No more slogans!
79 Posts
I've had my Trek 8900 since 1999, it was the bike I learned how to 'ride' on...heh. I did change the straight bars to a lo-riser which helped my lower back, and also shortened the stem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.