Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
Turner Stinger, frickin historic. kinda washed up compared to todays XC race machines

that pull shock is a problem, trying to service it will be hard to find parts

stay away ? don't know, it is super rare vintage, but bikes today do a ton better on trail

don't pay too much

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would pay $250 for it... would make an awesome Gravel/Monstercross bike. If this is going to be your only trail bike / exercise bike you should pass for something that is more reliable / newer. Spending $300-400 for a 5-6 year old hard tail will be a better investment for an "only" bike. If you have other things to ride and want a project this thing is pretty sweet.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
Well worth it for that price... so long as the shock works. You'll probably never find a replacement shock, nor even the parts to service that one.

I owned a Turner but not a Stinger (mine was a Sultan). It seems all Dave Turner's bikes were highly regarded in their day.
=sParty

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well worth it for that price... so long as the shock works. You'll probably never find a replacement shock, nor even the parts to service that one.

I owned a Turner but not a Stinger (mine was a Sultan). It seems all Dave Turner's bikes were highly regarded in their day.
=sParty
So if the rear shock is out it can not be repaired or replaced?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,120 Posts
So if the rear shock is out it can not be repaired or replaced?
I expect so. I don't own one so I haven't done any research but that thing is vintage and no one has made such a configuration for decades.
Whenever you see the word "proprietary" applied to a bicycle, run!
=sParty

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Also looks like all the nice vintage parts have been stripped. Thats not cook bros cranks on there, looks like some basic grade truvative or LX cranks, no Syncros stem (guys would pay pretty good money) xtr shifters, etc.

·
Cycologist
16,912 Posts
The first photo seems to show MY98 XT cranks.

Seems like a cool bike to collect, but not-as-much-so to ride these days.
Yeah, I didn't think they looked round enough. Obviously the fork has been replaced and looks like a BB7 brake.

·
noMAD man
12,164 Posts
I remember them back in the day but never saw one in the flesh. Wouldn't the air can service parts and routine be the same for that shock and other older Fox rear air shocks? I can't see the bottom of the can to tell. Internally as far as service parts, it may be the same as the more generic Float. One scratch on that anodized body, however, and it's toast for that proprietary end mount. For a collector bike to just tool around on, it could be a fun deal. Throw it down once in the rocks, and it could be done on that shock.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,115 Posts
definitely a cool bike, but I stay FAR away from anything with proprietary suspension. Lots of folks have been burned by that in the past.

Specialized/Fox Brain shock, Maverick rear suspension (though apparently there's some service you can actually have done to these, you can't replace them with anything newer), and I bet the newer Trek Supercalibers will end up here at some point, too.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
I remember them back in the day but never saw one in the flesh. Wouldn't the air can service parts and routine be the same for that shock and other older Fox rear air shocks? I can't see the bottom of the can to tell. Internally as far as service parts, it may be the same as the more generic Float. One scratch on that anodized body, however, and it's toast for that proprietary end mount. For a collector bike to just tool around on, it could be a fun deal. Throw it down once in the rocks, and it could be done on that shock.
this is a special strut for this model bike

none were built for any other bike

could disassemble and match o-rings or have machine shop makes parts

fox pull shock air sleeve service manual attached below

------
Noleen made a version of the shock...its called a Mega Air and even more rare

11 years ago Noleen said they could service the Fox version, so check with Noleen ?

----
turnerbikes wrote this about that shock [post 14]

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.