Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pigtire said:
I'm trying to build a singlespeed cross bike in the near future and I would like to know if anyone has any experience w/ the Van Dessel flip flop wheels. The price is great but is it durable(hubs)? Here is a link to the wheels..

https://www.vandesselsports.com/partNavArt/wheels.gif
See the "Off brand hub" post below.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Pigtire said:
I'm trying to build a singlespeed cross bike in the near future and I would like to know if anyone has any experience w/ the Van Dessel flip flop wheels. The price is great but is it durable(hubs)? Here is a link to the wheels..

https://www.vandesselsports.com/partNavArt/wheels.gif
I just got a set of them. The problem Bob had was the cheap stamped cog which they no longer give away with the hubs. I got a Surly cog and lockring (nice wide flange, lots of threads). I don't understand how anyone can justify the prices I see on freewheel and fixie hubs when a decent freehub (with way more complicated bits) can be had for under $50.

The wheels finish is decent but I had to clean up a bit of metal around the rim joint (there was a little strip of alumnum that looked like the machine that cut the rim didn't do a clean cut).

I've only ridden them about 5 miles so far on the road.

Bob mentioned that he hasn't had any trouble with the durability of the bearings or axle which is good because he tends to abuse his wheels.

·
SS Clyde 29er
607 Posts
i got a set, theyve been great!

i built up a set of custom wheels for my 29er, 2 yrs ago. i weigh 225lbs n ride that bike rigid, so ive been beating the hell outta them ever since(Sea Otter, local races n rides, 24 hr race, etc), and theyve been holding up great.

granted i have a quality track cog on it, and on the freewheel side a White Industries freewheel. but the hubs themselves have been holding up fine. for the price u cant beat em. they get my vote. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts