1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
how much are you looking to spend on a FS bike ? ...ralph

·
Registered
41 Posts
I see you been looking at dicks sporting goods. I posted about this bike awhile back after not being able to find anything on the internet about this. Best I can tell it is an aluminum frame with low end components. Ive sat on the bike in the store and noticed first off that the rear "shock" is junk unless you are maybe 120lbs at the most. It would have to be replaced first off if it could be? The next is the forks I myself would have to replace those as well due to the fact that they are too spongy and compress to far by just sitting on it. granted I am 285 so take it for what its worth. if you are looking to maybe just buy the bike for now and upgrade later with new components well it may work that is a question that will have to be answered by someone with more knowledge than I.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am not sure how much I want to spend. Definatley no more than $1000 total. I have a bike now that has better components than that with a Marzocchi DJ2 fork. What I was thinking was mixing the two bikes together and buying a way better rear shock for it? Waste of time yes no maybe?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
What gabe23 said plus what look like plastipedals, tires I've never heard of in any serious discussion on here, and what I'm guessing are pretty taco-worthy rims. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks just plain heavy too. Hang onto your $, save a little more, and get a higher-quality rig, new or used, with a decent package of proven components that will serve you much better over the long run. :)

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
Warrior 11 said:
Well I am not sure how much I want to spend. Definatley no more than $1000 total. I have a bike now that has better components than that with a Marzocchi DJ2 fork. What I was thinking was mixing the two bikes together and buying a way better rear shock for it? Waste of time yes no maybe?
...yah i think you'll waste your money. now we know how much you want to spend. what type of riding are you gonna do and with that answer other people can chime in with some help...ralph

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
For $1000, you can afford a Santa Cruz Superlight frame and shock.

I remember being so envious of people riding those around the place I rode in college.

Complete FS rigs at or below $1000 are almost always a complete waste of time. The Giant Yukon FX is well-regarded, at least for its price, and you might find something good used.

·
Registered
41 Posts
how much weight would the rear shock on the SC superlight hold? What is the lowest travel fork you can put on the bike?Im kinda curious myself now that you brought that up. I would like to ditch the Jamid hardtail ive got now.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/superlight/#faq.php

The shock is a stock Fox Float R or RP23 for some extra money. Max. pressure is 300 psi. Santa Cruz suggests that a 240lb rider use 200psi. Guesstimating from their chart, that means on that particular bike, up to a 340lb rider, if the frame is rated for it.

The Superlight's not really a weight weenie bike, per se - it's an old-school single-pivot XC bike. It was very light for its time, but it doesn't have any particular reputation for breaking when used more-or-less as intended.

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Don't be tempted by cheap bling! (Same advice my friend gave me once!) If you're just getting in, better off with a used, good ride off craigslist or the like. Plus many good entry level hardtails can be found in your LBS for around the same $499 tag that's hanging over that bike. As I recall, Nishiki went the way of Schwinn and Mongoose - plus do you really want a brand that has this guy for a spokesman?

·
ventanakaz
294 Posts
motosig102 said:
I see you been looking at dicks sporting goods. I posted about this bike awhile back after not being able to find anything on the internet about this. Best I can tell it is an aluminum frame with low end components. Ive sat on the bike in the store and noticed first off that the rear "shock" is junk unless you are maybe 120lbs at the most. It would have to be replaced first off if it could be? The next is the forks I myself would have to replace those as well due to the fact that they are too spongy and compress to far by just sitting on it. granted I am 285 so take it for what its worth. if you are looking to maybe just buy the bike for now and upgrade later with new components well it may work that is a question that will have to be answered by someone with more knowledge than I.
[email protected] dude if your 285 a SC superlight is not the way to go. maybe a blur LT or a heckler give SC a call and they will help you out...ralph

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Warrior 11, you haven't really given up much as to what it is you want in a MTB. All w rally know is you have a bike with a DJ fork on it,and we don't even know if it's actually a DJ bike.

The more info you divulge, the more chance you have of receiving better, well reasoned responses.

What type of riding do you want to do with this bike?

What type of terrain do you ride in?

How aggressive are you?

Do have a compelling reason to prefer a FS over a hardtail?

I ask the last question because a budget of <$1,000 makes it hard to get a decent FS bike and you'll have to make some somewhat harsh compromises compared to getting a good hardtail. You can find some decent hardtails for $900 - $1,200 if you shop carefully. You'll have to get pretty lucky to find a FS that I would spend that much money on and expect it to ride well and last. Not totally impossible, but difficult.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As of right now I have a GT Aggressor that has the DJ2 fork because I am 270lbs so the cheap fork that was on there wasnt cutting it. I went with the DJ because of my weight and its meant to take a beating. I mainly ride trails around the local park that are supposed to be hiking trails that dont get used anymore. I also ride around the local campus which is more urban terrain 2ft drops at most, stairs, curbs, typical college campus. I was thinking with a FS it would make things easier and less stress on frame and components. After kicking it around it would prolly be better to look at a better hard tail with the money Ive got to spend. If I bought a new frame though would I still be able to use the same DJ2 fork on the FS. Is this ever done?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Warrior 11 said:
As of right now I have a GT Aggressor that has the DJ2 fork because I am 270lbs so the cheap fork that was on there wasnt cutting it. I went with the DJ because of my weight and its meant to take a beating. I mainly ride trails around the local park that are supposed to be hiking trails that dont get used anymore. I also ride around the local campus which is more urban terrain 2ft drops at most, stairs, curbs, typical college campus. I was thinking with a FS it would make things easier and less stress on frame and components. After kicking it around it would prolly be better to look at a better hard tail with the money Ive got to spend. If I bought a new frame though would I still be able to use the same DJ2 fork on the FS. Is this ever done?
I think maybe a frame that is a little beefier that still has a derailleur hanger so you can have some gears to get around with. Ones that come to mind are the Kona Stuff, Shred and at least some of the Cowan frames. Your DJ fork would be right at home on those (provided the steerer tube is long enough).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.