Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
a tight kick sound
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Folks,
You all have been a hugh help thus far. Maybe a solution is out there already but I have not been able to find it. Here goes...
I have a 2002 large RFX with an E13 DRS attached. I am running a front derailer of the high "old-school" type on it. All is fine in the big second ring. The problem comes when I switch to the first granny ring. The derailer comes so close to the chainstay mount that the derailer hits the chainstay under the slightest shock compression :eek:
I cannot really think of a way to get around this problem. I have tried other derailers and they don't fit! I have thought about puting a bigger granny ring in but this will not totally fix the problem. Also I could add some spacers to the BB to put the chain line out a bit, but that could F up the chain line and the bike may shift like poo?

What does anyone think of this?

Boone

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Boone, how high [or low] is your derailleur mounted? Take a look at this photo of my large '02 rfx. I have the derailleur fairly high up to accomodate my additional travel, but it still shifts fine for my 20/32 chainring combo. the derailleur is a several year old xt top swing.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Boone, put a big chainring back on and set the f der height based on that. Do not ride the bike until you address this. You CANNOT set a front der up without a big chainring installed. If you don't put a big ring on to check, the f der will end up sitting too low and you will munch the thing under compression as you are finding out. The only way to get the height right is to set it based on it clearing a 44 tooth chainring by 1-2mm. This will also set the der height correctly to shift in the granny and middle when the bike is sagged.

Do NOT ride the bike in its current configuration. You are gonna bust something.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Renegade said:
... the derailleur is a several year old xt top swing.
Hey Renegade, that derailleur is bottom swing, top pull though, in case you ever need to replace it, so you don't get a wrong one. ;)

_MK

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
MK_ said:
Hey Renegade, that derailleur is bottom swing, top pull though, in case you ever need to replace it, so you don't get a wrong one. ;)

_MK
Mmmmmmmmmmm, I don't think so, it's top swing, top pull. I do believe I know what a bottom swing looks like as I had one on my last frame. Bet you a beer! Good beer, no cheap sh!t.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Renegade said:
Mmmmmmmmmmm, I don't think so, it's top swing, top pull. I do believe I know what a bottom swing looks like as I had one on my last frame. Bet you a beer! Good beer, no cheap sh!t.
you're on! ;) Bottom swing is when the derailleur hangs below the clamp. Top swing is when it "hangs" or sits above the clamp.

_MK

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
How about after a good ride? Evening or weekend?

_MK

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
LOL.
MK_ said:

_MK
Boone, sorry I missed your PM. These guys nailed it, you just need to move your f.der. up higher on your seat tube. You don't need to install a big ring to locate it; you can just remove a shock bolt which will allow your swing arm to fully compress. Set your. f. der as low as you can get it, without hitting the chainstay at full compression with the shock bolt removed. You probably only need to move it up 3/8" or so....

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
MK_ said:

_MK
I stand here before you humbled AND corrected! I allways associated the high pivot being at the same spot as the clamp as top swing, but alas, I guess I live on another planet.
Yes, after a good fun ride. Warning: I don't drink anything that has an alcohol content less than 7%, and I do like to drink on an empty stomach right after a ride. Maximum effect!

After work today I'm doing a recon ride to see if my favorite local secret trail is snow free yet. That would be a good one to take you on. But it is a secret trail, you'll have to be sworn to secrecy about it's location.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
So there's even a bonus! I can't wait to learn the secren and I hereby swear my secrecy! :)

_MK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.