Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen someone with a custom built off-road trailer? I want to have one made but I'm having a hard time finding different designs. Right now I only have Yak & burley trailers to go by.

I will depend on what the machine shop guy says is the best material, but I hope it will be Ti!

Any suggestions or links to companies would be awesome.I have never had a trailer so any input is greatly appreciated.
I posted in the 29er forum as well because this is going on my HT 29er.

Nuttymtbr

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've got a BOB yak and it works well. I did some touring overseas with my G/F and actually made 2 trailers of of 1 inch square alloy tube with connectors at the junctions and the bob swingarm. I did this so i could pull them apart and carry them in the bike bags for flights.It saved a huge amount of mucking around and weight.

My suggestions are:
If you going to travel with them make them collapsable and light.
If you want to use it by hand it will need 2 wheels to be stable, 1 wheel types are a pain once you seperate them from the bike (loaded).(i.e carting wood, walking to the shops etc)
It may be better to make the first version out of alloy or steel to refine the design before you commit to Ti.
See if you can borrow or hire each wheeled variety your considering to see if you like the way it handles.
enjoy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I can go with hitching the trailer to my seatpost or the rear axle. I am guessing, but I would think the rear axle would be the best for pulling a load. Got to do more reading!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
nuttymtbr said:
It seems I can go with hitching the trailer to my seatpost or the rear axle. I am guessing, but I would think the rear axle would be the best for pulling a load. Got to do more reading!
If you want to pull loads uphill, you want axle attachment, or an elephant on your handlebars to prvent wheelies with a seatpost attached trailer. Take your choice. :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Slocaus, you know where I can find a cheap elephant?oh and some good handlebars!!! you make a great point. It will be hooked to the axle for sure!

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
nuttymtbr said:
Hey Slocaus, you know where I can find a cheap elephant?oh and some good handlebars!!! you make a great point. It will be hooked to the axle for sure!
Matter of fact, I do; however the cost to feed him will break your trailer budget. Good choice on the axle attachment. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.