Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I should be on the Retro forum with this. I have a mint (ridden one season) Pro-Flex 857 complete bike. Noleen coils front and rear (post rubber bumper era) carbon rear swing arm. Grip Shift X-Ray, XTR fr/r der./hubs laced to mavic rims, control tech post, bars/stem...Hmmm...what else?
Actual est. $ value...or does it only have value to those who cherish K2's history?
Thanks!
Just curious as it's only taking up space in my garage?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sweet

Eastcoaster said:
Actual est. $ value...or does it only have value to those who cherish K2's history?
I had an 856 with the Girvin fork - it was my first FS and I loved it, but even then I don't think I'd pop for more than a couple hundred. Outdated components and all..... and I can't imagine anyone else doing much more. Its a work of art - you should move it from the garage into the house ;)

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, and I personally really liked....

I went back to a steel hardtail the next year. The 857 was my only full sus experience. But, you know, I really liked the action and suppleness of the fork. I know that a lot of riders rip on it. High height of the stack above the headtube, etc. I felt that it was really sweet on my rooted/rocky trails here out east in PA. Once you were used to the slight rearward and then up of the front axle path, the 4" of sus was nice! (Although, I don't have much to compare it to as I still ride a '98 era Marzocchi Bomber Z-2 fork on my EWR now. That thing is buttery smooth, and I'll ALWAYS love coil over air.
The only time that I minded the Girvin fork was on STEEP drop-ins. (Read: Riding down a steep slope...not hucking off of a drop.) It could be a little unnerving at times when the fork compressed at the bottom of a roll in!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I hear that

I endoed more than a few times going down steep stuff, but I sure liked the Girvin other than that :) You must have ridden yours with the Girvin for a while then, huh. On the rear the rebound damping was a bit sketchy - I'd always have a few "moments" when pointing it downhill at the local ski slope. The rear would kick me out of the saddle something fierce.

I went right out and bought mine after renting a ?755 out in Pheonix and riding in the Camel back/South mountains.

Ah, well. Memories. :)
Good luck deciding its future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.