Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys:

I'm writing here because I know that sometimes the Ibis crew read this thread or maybe someone have an spy inside them. I'm planning to buy an Ibis HD 160 in the next days but with the new standard of 142x12 mm rear end is kind of frustrating to buy the actual frame 135x12 mm and in the few months see the frame change to the new standard :madman: . If someone have an idea if this is going to happen I'm very grateful to know it ans I can wait.

Thanks for any information.

Cheers ;)

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
I highly doubt the change will be coming soon, if ever. The cost to convert the rear to 142 is probably fairly high. I *could* see sometime in the future if they do go 142 maybe offering just the rear triangle to existing owners.

If it ain't broke...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks d-bug, it could be one option, I know that as you say is expensive, but in the all day evolving MTB world the standards run fast. What yo say about changing the rear end is valid and a "cheaper" option jejeje... Will be good to heard from Ibis if they have this ideas on mind or in the design.

Thanks dude ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi hypokondriak, the advantage from 135 to 142 is just purely the easy way to lock the wheel to the frame, as we now the users of 135x12 is a little annoying to center the axle with the holes of the frame. With the 142x35 are two recesses of 3.5mm inside of each side of the frame to allow place and keep the wheel in the proper place and after secure it with the axle. In other words is like and dropout but just in the inner side of the frame.

Check the link, its more clear with the video.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/12x142-explained.html

Cheers ;)

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
fabricio fracchia said:
Hi hypokondriak, the advantage from 135 to 142 is just purely the easy way to lock the wheel to the frame, as we now the users of 135x12 is a little annoying to center the axle with the holes of the frame. With the 142x35 are two recesses of 3.5mm inside of each side of the frame to allow place and keep the wheel in the proper place and after secure it with the axle. In other words is like and dropout but just in the inner side of the frame.

Check the link, its more clear with the video.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/12x142-explained.html

Cheers ;)
Sounds like it's solving an annoyance and not really a problem. Sure getting the wheel aligned can be a pain, but it's not like we're doing it 20 times per ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
d-bug yo are right jajaja... if we do that per ride that mean "riding over broken glasses", but the things is more the standard than other direction, the plan is to apply this axle to all the bikes, that mean from XC, SS, AM... etc, etc... so, if some people come from XC background and try to place the whell without the dropout pockets in the 135x12 could cost some gold time. Also maybe the 135x12 hubs will be replaced in the mid time by the 142x12, that mean, new hubs or new wheelset for every (if the current used now by many doesn´t allow the conversion kit, if available). So in few years we will see pushing in this way like the 10 speed drivetrain, which before was avoided.

Cheers ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
From what I know, ibis is a small shop and new carbon molds are outrageously expensive. So once they put out a product, that's basically what you are going to get for the foreseeable future. Keeps costs to us down, which is a great thing in my book. It's also the reason you probably won't see a tapered head tube or 12mm axle on the Mojo SL.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just what we need... another 'standard' - like it is so hard to flip your bike upside down and align that rear wheel axle... geesh. It's not any stiffer, so this 'convience' is far oughweight by yet another incompatible system and the complexity is brings to the consumer that may want to buy parts separately/used ones, swap things around...

It's already bad enough with 3 front options (QR, 15mm and 20mm maxles (which I have) and not being able to switch because of incompatibility, we already more choices in the back than we need (135xQR (Mojo), 135x10mm bolt? (Mojo - what I have), 135x12mm (Mojo HD), 150x12 (DH bikes, which I also have) why on earther yet another choice!

stop the insanity and keep it simple!
and no I don't expect Ibis to retool for this..

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
First off, I own a 142 frame (Scott Genius LT) so I'm familiar with the shape of the inside of the dropouts. I just looked at pics of the HD's dropouts. The left one is metal and the inside of the right one is metal (it's actually the derailleur hanger). Ibis could easily change these to have the "U" shaped indents of the 142 system. For that matter it would be easy for any machinist to cut an existing HD's left dropout and derailleur hanger to accept a 142 hub. Since the outside of the dropouts wouldn't change you'd use the same Maxle.

·
Registered
837 Posts
hey-up! the advantage of having a wider hub is it widens out the angle of the spoke from the rim to the hub. this gives the connection points a wider stance and is stronger laterally. most downhill and freeride bikes run a 150mm spacing on their back hub. so yeah, 142 is stronger than 135mm. also, if the rear triangle is wider to compensate for the wider hub, the frame (rear triangle), will be laterally stronger as well. :cornut:

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
142x12 uses the same hub as 135x12, just with some smooth end caps installed that fit into the indents. Many companies like AmClassic and DT will sell you the caps to convert your 135 hub. Not so much a new standard as a slight modification to the existing standard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.