1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fortuna rider...

AMcK said:
Yeah , im in Fortuna.
Glad to hear there's another Humboldtian out there. How's your KHS coming along? I'm also building-up a new bike - a 33-lb. Heckler - and it should be done within a month or two. Perfect timing, because by then, the rain will be letting up a little.

Anyway, since you're only a half-hour away, drop an email or message if you want to go riding sometime. I have a few riding buddies up here, and we often hit up the Couch Trail or Tish-Tang.

Take care.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All i have left are brakes, crankset, bottom bracket, grips and front derauiler on the khs im building. I went down couch twice last year, last time I went down it the first bridge was broken, looked like someone sawed it in half, if it's getting ridden at this time of the year those ruts must be getting even deeper. I've never rode the tsish tang area but i'll have to ride it soon, sounds like some good riding there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
crawdad said:
I live in Arcata. Any riders out there behind the redwood curtain?
I just moved to Fortuna. Could you tell me where Couch and Tish Tang are located? I didn't see them mentioned in the trail review section.
Thanks,
Bill Minkel

·
Registered
165 Posts
Another Fortuna rider here....For directions to the Couch or Tish Tang, I would recommend calling Revolution Bicycle Repair or e-mail me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tish-Tang & Couch Trail...

Yeah, the guys at Revolution are very helpful. They sometimes even offer free maps to areas like Tish-Tang, which is a few minutes away from "downtown" Willow Creek. The Couch Trail is about 40 minutes of downhill single-track in Jacoby Creek. From Arcata, drive up Fickle Hill Road for what seems like way too far, maybe 25 minutes. On your right there will be a small pullout where the trees are spraypainted in white saying, "trail closed." There used to be an old abandoned couch there at the pullout, thus the name. Anyway, drop me a meassage or email if any of you Fortuna riders want to go riding sometime, or even if you just want some directions. Take care.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Distance up fickle hill to couch

Couch is close to 9 miles up fickle hill, takes a while, but after the first half a mile it's not very steep, i rode up it both times i did the trail.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where to park?

AMcK said:
Couch is close to 9 miles up fickle hill, takes a while, but after the first half a mile it's not very steep, i rode up it both times i did the trail.
Where would be a good place to park if I were to ride Couch round trip? If the trip up Fickle Hill is nine miles how long is the trail itself? I'm good for about 20 miles but that is the upper limit of my ability. (I'm getting old)
I stopped by a shop and asked about trails in Fortuna and was told about Headwaters and the area behind the Depot at a local park. Have you ridden in these areas? Are there some good cross country loops here. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Probably wont have a chance for a couple of weeks as I just came down with a cold or something and I fell like crap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couch info for Roadscuzz...

roadscuzz said:
Where would be a good place to park if I were to ride Couch round trip? If the trip up Fickle Hill is nine miles how long is the trail itself? I'm good for about 20 miles but that is the upper limit of my ability. (I'm getting old)
I stopped by a shop and asked about trails in Fortuna and was told about Headwaters and the area behind the Depot at a local park. Have you ridden in these areas? Are there some good cross country loops here. I haven't had a chance to check them out yet. Probably wont have a chance for a couple of weeks as I just came down with a cold or something and I fell like crap.
To do the Couch Trail as a loop, park anywhere in Arcata on the east side of 101. The Arcata Sports Complex would be a good place to park. You begin by riding up Fickle Hill Road. After about 30-60 minutes of paved riding you will encounter the beginning of the Couch Trail on the right, whether you notice it or not.

When I first rode the Couch Trail, it took me a few tries to actually find the beginning of the trail. Here are a few clues: 1) Spraypainted white on trees says Trail Closed, and 2) There is no gate, and 3) The trail begins with single-track, not a fire road. When in doubt, keep going.

The trail is about 45 minutes of tight and continuous downhill singletrack, and there are a few steeper sections. Also, it is common to encounter fallen trees and bridges during the Winter. After you've ridden the trail, it lets out at Jacoby Creek Road. Then turn right on Old Arcata Road, which will put you right back at your car at the Sports Complex.

Have fun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
roadscuzz said:

With regards to the Headwaters and Gas Wells....there are some great trails there and beyond. It's all illegal though and too wet to ride anyway. Gotta use some discretion in these areas cause some of us don't want to lose it. Get what I mean? Stick around and you will get the info you are looking for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
roadscuzz said:
I park in redwood park when doing the couch loop, i think the loop is about 20 miles, i had my cycle computer on when i did it before but i can't remember what the exact distance was.
To get to carson woods go north on 14th street, it will turn into carson woods road, go to the end and go over the wire rope fence into the area known as carson woods. To get to headwaters go north on newburg road untill you get to the end, there is a sign that says headwaters on it, gate is broke right now so you can ride right through.
I ride to headwaters and through carson woods(what you called the depot at the local park, unless you were talking about the rohnerville park trails, which is an extremely small area) just about everyday, except for lately which i have been riding on the trainer because of the weather. The ride to headwaters is rideable right now because the first part of it is a gravel road. From carson woods it is real muddy right now so you probably won't want to ride it now. There are many loops from carson woods, also a loop that conencts carson woods with the headwaters road. I have seen loggers and bioligists in carson woods and headwaters and no one cares if you ride there.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Gregg K said:
I'm in Hydesville.
Howdy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How you doing!

It's great to see finally people from my area in a forum at all.
They seem to hide alot!!! :D

I'm saving for a new bike though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you get your new rig...

NiTCOM said:
How you doing!

It's great to see finally people from my area in a forum at all.
They seem to hide alot!!! :D

I'm saving for a new bike though.
...let us know. I'm still one crankset away from having a complete bike - soon. Anyway, when things start to dry out a little, we should organize a Sat or Sun ride by posting it on this thread. Anybody who's interested could meet at some agreed upon trailhead, maybe Horse Linto Camp to ride Tish Tang. Or maybe Lost Man Creek.

Post your suggestions for a good riding spot, where we might all meet-up when the time is right.

-cd

·
Registered
103 Posts
crawdad said:
...let us know. I'm still one crankset away from having a complete bike - soon. Anyway, when things start to dry out a little, we should organize a Sat or Sun ride by posting it on this thread. Anybody who's interested could meet at some agreed upon trailhead, maybe Horse Linto Camp to ride Tish Tang. Or maybe Lost Man Creek.

Post your suggestions for a good riding spot, where we might all meet-up when the time is right.

-cd

I might get me my new bike from oregon. I will be over there in a week. they don't have sales tax, so maybe a good deal. They also have the enduro comp in stock, which i'm interested in. lets see. :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I live in Arcata. I've been looking for some kind of group ride so if you start one, I'm down.
For those interested in couch, there is an alternative route that starts up in kneeland, and meets up with jacoby creek/couch, that I like a little better. Let me know if you want directions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ACS said:
I live in Arcata. I've been looking for some kind of group ride so if you start one, I'm down.
For those interested in couch, there is an alternative route that starts up in kneeland, and meets up with jacoby creek/couch, that I like a little better. Let me know if you want directions.

Why don't we make a list of humboldt mtb riders with name and location. :cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACS, Arcata
NiTCOM, Fortuna

·
Registered
103 Posts
ACS said:

Why don't we make a list of humboldt mtb riders with name and location. :cool:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACS, Arcata
NiTCOM, Fortuna

1 - 20 of 36 Posts