Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attempting to True my rear wheel. I have been working on it for an hr now & I still have a slight wobble, I have decreased the wobble from big to very slight but it is frustrating the heck out of me. Is it normal to have a slight wobble or should it run smooth as can be when done. If it should be smooth as can be has anyone ever experienced this, where no matter how many times you loosen one side or tighten one side it still has a slight wobble? When I say slight I mean the only way to really notice it is to stare at the tire.:madman:

Any tips would be great.
Thanks

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The tire has nothing to do with whether the wheel is true or not, look at the rim (not unusual for tires to have a bit of wobble even when the rim is perfect). You might have a rim that is beyond help, hard to know. What are you using to guide you? The frame? Brakes? Truing stand? Did you really start by loosening and tightening whole sides of the wheel? You might have changed dish doing so, be careful. You'd get better advice in the wheels/tire forum, too.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Yes, true the rim without the tire on it to be sure the rim is not moving up and down as well as side to side while spinning it. Don't try to get it perfect, just close as sanity allows. If it can't get more within 1/16th inch (1/8th inch with disc brakes) you can try to bend the rim manually with your knee and hands and true again, or get a new rim if it's really kinked or dented. You can check and true dish by turning the wheel around backwards, the rim should be the same distance from the same point on a stay when mounting the wheel both backward and forwards.

Many tires aren't visibly perfectly even spinning when on a closely trued wheel, which is not noticable off road.

:thumbsup:

- ray

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I started trying to fix the wobble I just turned the spokes that were in the center of the wobble area, then as needed I would adjust other spokes. I tested the spokes to make sure nothing was loose & all seems ok.

·
Registered
591 Posts
try sqeezing two spokes with your thumb and forefinger to see if that will give you the desired result before you tighten a spoke. of course that is if the tension is pretty close all around the wheel

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kidd said:
try sqeezing two spokes with your thumb and forefinger to see if that will give you the desired result before you tighten a spoke. of course that is if the tension is pretty close all around the wheel
I did that & all the tension seems pretty good with the exception of 1 or 2 spokes which I tightened up a little. When i ride the bike evertying feels fine & operates smoothly the disc brakes dont rub & the tire spins freely when I spin it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.