Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, maybe someone here is smarter than me. Picked this up at my local thrift. Can't figure out what it is. I got it for the components, but it's bothering me I can't ID it before I pull it apart, so this is a hail mary.

Deep purple with a bit of sparkle in the gloss coat.
No model sticker, just a pair of "Specialized" stickers (S-works or just repainted?).
No "S" sticker. Aluminum, but no big triangle shape on the head tube like I've seen before.
Marzocchi forks, Bomber, I think it says Z5.
A mix of LX and XT components.
LX hubs in Sun RhynoLyte rims.
Tektro brake bridges.
FSA chain rings.

My assumption is that someone built this up to their own tastes but maybe I'm wrong. Any thoughts? when I enter "Specialized", Marzocchi" and "Purple Flake" into a Google search I get entered into a NSA database, but I don't really find what I'm looking for. Thank you, regardless.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Maybe around model year 2000?

I have a 2000 Stumpjumper (M2) with similar styling.

Try Bikepedia.
https://www.bikepedia.com/Year.aspx?search=specialized

poke through the years to color match and go from there. I wouldn't look at anything newer than 2000 to start.
Then move to 2000 and newer. I don't know a lot about the older bikes and not sure if the fork is newer or older than my era.

It looks similar to some of the 1997/1998 bikes I saw when Google Searching Rockhopper and hard rocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I did try poking around, but between bouncing around the years guessing, looking for color, and switching back and forth between S-works, Stumpjumper and Rockhopper, and comp and etc etc, I confess I wasn't thorough. I'll go back and start with 2000. I have a 1994 Rockhopper and I know it's newer than than, and the removable derailleur hanger is a clue, but the shocks seem post facto, which is partly why I'm wondering if this isn't as built originally. If I find anything I'll report back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason that site is giving my browser fits, although when I test my connection speed I'm running 19mb/s which seems a bit slow to me (2mb/s upload). In any event one thing tat confuses me is the fact that there is no Stumpjumper (or Rockhopper, etc) sticker. Is that common? Or does that imply a paint jobs and new stickers (as opposed to a different production category)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well, it seems that after 2000 the top tube and the down tube join together before meeting the head tub, and on this one they are distinct. I'm going to assume you are right and figure that it is a pre-2000 stump/rock frame with a crazy paint job and components I can use on another build without sacrilege (I'll put some air in the tires and ride it first, hoping I don't fall in love with it).

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
That is not a 2000 model. I was just through my catalogue and they are all two-tone colorway starting in a lighter color and having a long upward sweep into the darker color, sometimes with a third color. All of the SJ, Rockhopper and Hardrocks have Specialized on the down tube and the name of the model at the front of the top tube on the drive-side.

Soooo... that would be a 1998-1999 model year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That frame looks to be repainted. It's not an S-Works, and the S-Works models of the era are the only ones with no Stumpjumper decals, just Specialized on the top tube and down tube, and since the logo on the top tube is the wrong size, it looks like it has been repainted. I don't believe any Specialized of that era came in that color.

Vladic :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.