Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any hardtails make a good match with a z150?

I can get a z150 for really cheap from a freind. I'm thinking of getting it and also getting an Azonic steelhead frame. Would that be a good combo, or would I have no turning ability due to too much fork? Can't I just run low preload for more sag, thus shorter fork?

Anyone running this combo?

·
Registered
629 Posts
a lot of the norco hardtails come stock with 6" or greater forks. Somebody had a steelhead with an 8" Dual Crown, and it didnt look to weird.

I would say most freeride hardtail frames can handle 6", but if the Steelhead is at the top of your price range, your options are limited.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
ajw8899 said:
a lot of the norco hardtails come stock with 6" or greater forks. Somebody had a steelhead with an 8" Dual Crown, and it didnt look to weird.

I would say most freeride hardtail frames can handle 6", but if the Steelhead is at the top of your price range, your options are limited.
i've seen much bigger forks than a z150 on a steelhead... it'll be fine.

i'm guessing you were deperate when you pitched the sag idea....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Desperate? Naw.

I can get the fork for $80, so I figured I might find a frame to hook it up to.

I don't think my current frame is meant to have such a large fork.

The Steel head is cheap, but that's not why I want it. I want it because I need a bombproof steel frame that can handle my abusive ass. From what I've gathered, the steelhead is the best 7lb steel FR frame out there.

I'm gonna take my aluminum hardtail and the Pike thats on it and make that into a lighter weight bike for all-mountain use. I'll then have the heavy bruiser for going big and crashing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Orange SubZero

If you can get hold of one. Ace bike.

i've got a SubZero BH with Sherman Breakout 150s on it and it's just so much fun and can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it.

Will also take up to 170mm forks if you want to go that way later. Is aluminium though, so might not be what you're looking for. 2.5 conti deisels take the sting out the tale though.

:eek:)

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
MicroHuck said:
Desperate? Naw.

I can get the fork for $80, so I figured I might find a frame to hook it up to.

I don't think my current frame is meant to have such a large fork.

The Steel head is cheap, but that's not why I want it. I want it because I need a bombproof steel frame that can handle my abusive ass. From what I've gathered, the steelhead is the best 7lb steel FR frame out there.

I'm gonna take my aluminum hardtail and the Pike thats on it and make that into a lighter weight bike for all-mountain use. I'll then have the heavy bruiser for going big and crashing.
Goin the opposite direction with my Flyin Monkey. Eventually want to get a 66 and single speed that thing. Obviously not for all mountain.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
find something with a 1.5 headtube. then get either E.13 reducer cups or one of the new zero-stack reducer headsets from cane creek or FSA. It'll lower your front end by 1/2", so it'll fit like a 5.5" fork instead of a full 6. Assuming that it's made for a 5" fork, it'll fit perfectly.

:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.