Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
No guesses but I am curious. I'm not even sure what I want but a new bike is in the budget

Right now I'm leaning hard toward an SS ICT.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wish Surly would do a bike like the Fargo or Deadwood.

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^ECR-kid knows what's coming from Surly. Bugger.

The rest of us will prolly have to wait until interbike or an official leak gets sprung...

Symmetrical Pugsley anyone?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
They do ;)

ECR :)

24th May; ECR 010 by Bruce, on Flickr
Tht's great if you can set it up and it works for you. Won't work for me as the headtube is too short.

I wouldnt be surprised if Surly put the LHT, Pugsley and Moonlander out to pasture. They've got quite a few models now.

I'm still thinking about picking up a closeout Pugs frame from Universal.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Surly ever debut stuff at Eurobike? I think that's coming up before Interbike.

That said, I can't handle any new stuff from Surly. Currently riding my 6 year old Long Haul Trucker. I'm on the verge of getting a World Troller that was announced last year and is almost available now. There's at least two other bikes in the line up that I don't have money or room in my apartment for. They need to stop tempting me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Tht's great if you can set it up and it works for you. Won't work for me as the headtube is too short.

I wouldnt be surprised if Surly put the LHT, Pugsley and Moonlander out to pasture. They've got quite a few models now.

I'm still thinking about picking up a closeout Pugs frame from Universal.
Not if my shops sale's are any indication. The LHT especially is a really popular bike.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Not if my shops sale's are any indication. The LHT especially is a really popular bike.
I don't know what's popular at my shop, but one of the owners rides one, and when I see a Surly in the wild, it's almost always a Long Haul Trucker.

I suppose it's possible that they would thin out the available versions. Like maybe just one version that runs disc or rim brakes and eliminate the rim-brake-only version.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was just riding in the Bend area all weekend and practically 90% of the cycling tourist I saw were on LHTs. I have one. I live in Portland and not a morning goes by when I don't see a number of fellow commuters on Surlys, usually LHTs or CCs. The LHT is a great bike but if I were to get one now I'd get a Disc Trucker for sure. I just wonder about how Surly can maintain so much inventory when there is so much overlap in their models now--LHT/DT, Pugs/Moonlander/ICT, etc... Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all those bikes are the same but again, I just wonder how much inventory Surly can maintain.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
How about 2 out of 3. It can be done SS with thru axles but no promises on the wheel staying put.

Leaves the door open, at least in my mind, for a Blackborow. I ride at night a lot so the ugly Salsa paint jobs aren't a big deal.

I've even considered the 2016 Trek Farley. Hard to admit that but its true.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
How about 2 out of 3. It can be done SS with thru axles but no promises on the wheel staying put.

Leaves the door open, at least in my mind, for a Blackborow. I ride at night a lot so the ugly Salsa paint jobs aren't a big deal.

I've even considered the 2016 Trek Farley. Hard to admit that but its true.
I didn't love that I love my Farley (6) either, but I goddamn love that bike. Once I got on it, the PUMP wouldn't go away. Trek is going HAM with their fat bikes.

·
1,248 Posts
If my whimpy QR can hold the wheel in place, then 12mm TA should be no problem. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. That said, the Alt drops on my BB have been working out just fine.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I've not had great results with a wimpy QR on a few rides with a Karate Monkey.
12mm TA would probably be fine but I don't want to go first especially when the Alternators are proven.

Anyone care to comment on why they want to keep the asymmetrical Pugs?

1 - 20 of 134 Posts