Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went riding yesterday and had a grand time. Our bodies were stiff from the cold and the tires crunched over some old snow and ice. Frigid arms and legs were hard to manage on the technical sections, so much of the harder parts were walked on the opening descent. My eyes were watering and the sunglasses fogged from the cool temperatures. But at least there was reason to wear the tinted lenses, as the sun was climbing higher and bringing some warmth with it. Still, the cool air in the bottom of the canyon hadn't been kissed by it yet, and that's where we were.

The pool of water is still ice, but the sun is breaking through.

A little further down, still cold, but the loss in elevation was beginning to work for us.

Below is another shot of the same place:

We finally quit descending and climbed up into the sunlight, an effort that had us shedding our jackets, only to have to put them back on after we crossed the icy creek at the bottom of the second downhill.

2 points for whoever can identify where we rode, bonus if you can get both the trails.

Today's ride, if it happens, will be with a jacket, tights, ear warmers and winter gloves.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Looks like somewhere near Fruita/Moab area with the red rocks. Just no idea where :) Or Sedona. The only place in Moab I know of with a creek crossing would be Amassa Back, but I've never ridden it, so not sure on that. The first pic looks similar to Bell Rock, though also. Hmm. Curious-er and curious-er :)

BTW, just looking at that last picture with your descriptions of the cold-ness makes me cringe! Appears warm with the short sleeved shirt and shorts, but man. That water has to be freezing!

·
pedaller
2,400 Posts
I'm saying Sedona & Oak Creek

...and the creek crossing is at the Midgley Bridge north of town... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
yep definatly Sedona. and Noelg and fourarm have it right. you were riding up and over D.I.I.K.

glad to see/hear you are having a great time in AZ. yell at the d!ck from NorCal. he was supposed to call/email me when he got to town. It's probibly for the best he needs too much alone time with Bugs anyway.

=)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
screampint said:
That is incorrect.
Unfortunately I have not ridden in Sedona except for 2 (short) days about a week and a half after getting my first bike. So, I never experienced either trail you were on. I definitely need to get back there at some point!

But, nice to know I wasn't totally off!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
screampint said:
Ding! Ding! Ding! You have won yourself a dustbunny from under the kids' beds.
That was gonna be my guess as well, but alas, I'm too late. I could tell from the first pic.....that water hole is fun to ride up and around it (on the right side). Had a buddy fall into it several years ago.

Love that trail!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.