Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
didnt this used to be the high end cro mo bike from gt??

remember seeing picks of the frame but no full bike pics....

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
mwr said:
I have a Psyclone. Here are a couple of pics though neither is mine.
Do you have a pic of yours?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Psyclone

Rumpfy said:
That's a hellofa question.
Fillet Brazed True Temper XC frame only - circa '91.

Tended to crack around the rear dropout - but drop dead gorgeous. Not sure where they were made, must likely in the US.

At the time the Xizang and Zaskar were also "frame only" I believe. The highest model in the complete bike range would have been the Avalanche - all CrMo, but TIG welded (probably Taiwan). I had one of these. Very heavy - even at the time.

I think they all shared the same XC geometry.

The only one (actually it was two, but he was sponsored and never told us about the crack in his first one) I ever saw was rigid. It was pre RS-1s.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what a beutiful bike that second one is.....looks just my size!!

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
Let's pull this thread out of mothballs...

This one ISN'T Matt's, either. :p :D

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
Yeah, I can't decide on a red or blue theme yet. I have even tossed around the idea of pimp daddy gold anodized bits. :D Maybe I"ll just selectively do a bit of everything. ;)

Anyone have any good ideas on covering up chain slap powdercoat chips?

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I'd highlight the blue, but I like more understated. I like that frame alot!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Bike_13 said:
At the time the Xizang and Zaskar were also "frame only" I believe. The highest model in the complete bike range would have been the Avalanche - all CrMo, but TIG welded (probably Taiwan). I had one of these. Very heavy - even at the time.
Quoting from the 1991 GT catalog:

"For 1991, GT Bicycles offers four high-end, handcrafted premier frameset packages.*
Designed to fill the needs of the most discerning riders, these packages are available as complete bicycles or framesets.

Any frameset package may be ordered with a Rock Shox suspension fork. **

Any frameset package may be ordered as a complete bicycle with either full Shimano Deore XT group or full SunTour XC-Pro group."

* the 4 frames were:
the Xizang LE - that's the full Ti frame
Xizang - ti front with CrMo rear triangle
Zaskar
True Temper Chromoly frame (It didn't have a name yet)
"New for 1991 is GT's USA made handbuilt chromoly frame. Filet brazed True Temper heat treated. Available in a multitude of Imron colors.

** There's a picture on the page of the RS-1 with the Bontrager crown. It's the black fork with the neon pink Rock Shox decals.

Also there was an Avalanche LE model which shared the same frame (Tange Concept & MTB seamless double butted tubing...) as the Avalanche. The LE was full-XT, while the Avalanche was DX/XT

As you can tell, I've got some old GT catalogs. Let me know if you need me to look anything else up.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
apexspeed said:
Yeah, I can't decide on a red or blue theme yet. I have even tossed around the idea of pimp daddy gold anodized bits. :D Maybe I"ll just selectively do a bit of everything. ;)

Anyone have any good ideas on covering up chain slap powdercoat chips?
Maybe a blue hub and nips up front, and red out back to offset things?

I guess you could do the same with seatpost and stem/bars...or silver.

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
GT_guy said:
As you can tell, I've got some old GT catalogs. Let me know if you need me to look anything else up.
Anything from the '96 Tech Shop catalog? I'm trying to figure out the odd rear canti hanger thingy on the back of this frame. My guess is there is a part missing, but I can't spot this same gizmo on any other GT, so I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.

·
acoustic motorbike
168 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Maybe a blue hub and nips up front, and red out back to offset things?

I guess you could do the same with seatpost and stem/bars...or silver.
I think I have decided to actually do the opposite. Full blue rear, full red up front. Cantis, hubs, headset... everything. I think it will look pretty cool. :D Time to start hunting fer parts.

·
Registered
525 Posts
apexspeed said:
Anything from the '96 Tech Shop catalog? I'm trying to figure out the odd rear canti hanger thingy on the back of this frame. My guess is there is a part missing, but I can't spot this same gizmo on any other GT, so I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.
What is that? Hard to tell from the little bit I can see in the pic. I don't have a specific tech shop catalog from 96, but there is a "GT Colorado" page in the general catalog that shows the Psyclone frame. It has the normal guide tube that goes around the right side of the seat tube. There would just be a clear inner liner that goes through there.
In 96, the high end bikes all had V-brakes, so if yours is a 96, V's would be period-correct. On the bikes pictured with them, the cable comes out of the groove tube, and then in housing, goes around the left side of the seat tube to connect to the V-brake.
Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts