Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a GT RTS 3 full suspension bike. It had a bent rear wheel and i just threw on an older wheel for now, but it works nicely, but not sure what it is worth, or if it is worth upgrading. I don't have pics yet, but i will for you guys.....i know it was built in the 90s since they dont build this frame anymore....what do yu guys think?????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it I Drive equiped ? If so that's the tricky part to upgrade or service. But for the rest the available technologie is the limit !!! I upgraded mine (XCR 4000 (2000) ) from head to tail..Does it worth the cost and work..You bet ! :) More i learn how to drive my baby..the more i love it...there is nothing like climbing a hill with a GT !! Amuse toi mon ami !! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i do not belive it is I Drive equipped, it is really strange, and the rear shock actually goes through the main frame to another frame attached to the bike. I will post pic tomorrow hopefully

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah thats it, color and all, myne does not look that good, but like i said, with a little elbow grease she might be reborn. i also found a cmpnay that can make alternative replacements for the rear suspension.

·
Registered
16 Posts
just one single advice...: learn how to fix, repair and upgrade your sef your bike...it is always less expensive to fail and make mistake once in a while than make it done right a tfirst by a bike shop...they are A WAY to expensive..believe me...!! Parts can be founded on ebay and tools are not to expensive..and what about the pride to rebuil it yourself ? I did with mine..and i drive it like it is my own child ! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
the needed upgrades will depend on what kind of ride you deserve to your bike ! What do you ride ? Single tracks, large trails, street, sand pit..etc..but for sure i would attack the rear derailleur , the handle bar with the stern and the hubs... Parts can be easily found on ebay ( i buy them all there..but you have to be patient).... but the main thing is : enjoy your ride and do not matter to much with upgrades..your ride is pretty cool i think !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is probably not the place to ask this, but due to the discontinuation of the bike model, i am not sure what type of casettes to get, what type of derailers are good, etc. Stems, handle bars, and hubs, whats good? i know usually it is up to opinion, and i do trails and street......

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
You need to tell us if your building it up to ride in town, xc, am or fixed gear. Damn near anything you want it just needs to fit the frame. 73mm wide Bottom bracket (Axle length needs to match the crank you put on), 1-1/8" headset or aheadset, 1-1/8" fork however you want it threaded or threadless. 31.8mm clamp type front derailleur, I'd recommend bottom pull bottom swing for that vintage frame. Rear derailleur cage length needs to match the size of the largest cassette cog. You can run 7, 8 or 9 speed rear hub/cassette on this frame because the rear end is 135mm OLN (Outside Lock Nut dimension).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do street and trail, and i really appreciate the dimensions. Where should i start....i think wheels, cassette/hub, pref. double wall wheel. Then de-railer, not sure of brand of hub oe railers, prob. shimani...not sure

·
Trek 6500 Disc
58 Posts
looks as if you have the shimano stx line through out your bike even your hubs. My dad has a 14 year old trek 7000 with all stx and till this day he has had it serviced and he rides with me every time and it shifts better then my deore lx's. I would keep everything until it breaks maybe the wheelsets first. I can imagine its pretty light of a bike too.

If you do alot of street i'm currently building a gt backwoods frame up for single speed because i hate my chain and derailers bouncing all around on street. Maybe single speed is the way to go with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts