Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be staying for couple of days at Camp Navarro (campnavarro.com). Are there any good MTB trails nearby? Searching on strava, trailforks and mtbproject does not find anything besides Mendocino, which looks good but it's 46 min drive away, and I'd rather not drive.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've done Novarro Ridge Rd many times on a dirtbike as part of a big event called the Sheet Iron 300. Not sure how you'd feel about a graded dirt road but it is right there. Strava heat map shows some cycling activity there.

G

·
I haven’t heard of any trails out that way but, my brother does a fair amount of road riding between Mendo, Comptche, and Navarro.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Worth the drive...

I'll be staying for couple of days at Camp Navarro (campnavarro.com). Are there any good MTB trails nearby? Searching on strava, trailforks and mtbproject does not find anything besides Mendocino, which looks good but it's 46 min drive away, and I'd rather not drive.

Thanks in advance for recommendations!

If you have never been here you owe it to yourself to get a taste of coastal riding magic. Although it isn't easy to find at times the trails are in magnificent condition at the moment. Here is an idea what is available to ride.

Go to Catch-a-Canoe for maps and trail book. You'll be singing trail songs before long.

Attachments

·
J-Flo
1,745 Posts
Seriously, a 90-minute round trip in the car from Navarro to the Mendocino trail system is the best way you can spend that much time with your clothes on.

If you want a fantastic 2.5 hour ride, try Parallel-Confusion-Gas Cap-Endo-OhNo-Boiler-Fire Roads-Forest History(up the bottom part)-Cookhouse(up)-Forest History (down) (or Manly Gulch (down))-Fire Road 720 return to do Gas Cap-Confusion-Parallel in reverse. For a slightly shorter ride, go up and back down Big Tree instead of going out to Forest History/Manly. That's only one of many great options in these woods.

I'm up in Tahoe for a riding vacation, and though I love it here, I also wish I was in Mendo.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Good suggestions!

Seriously, a 90-minute round trip in the car from Navarro to the Mendocino trail system is the best way you can spend that much time with your clothes on.

If you want a fantastic 2.5 hour ride, try Parallel-Confusion-Gas Cap-Endo-OhNo-Boiler-Fire Roads-Forest History(up the bottom part)-Cookhouse(up)-Forest History (down) (or Manly Gulch (down))-Fire Road 720 return to do Gas Cap-Confusion-Parallel in reverse. For a slightly shorter ride, go up and back down Big Tree instead of going out to Forest History/Manly. That's only one of many great options in these woods.

I'm up in Tahoe for a riding vacation, and though I love it here, I also wish I was in Mendo.
Great suggestions for a good ride...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any suggestions for a route with a drop off and then ride back to the area near the botanical gardens? Looks like ~5mi of road riding from Mitchell Creek Dr? Will be staying in the last week of July and thinking about bring my bike this year. Would be riding solo.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Catch-a-Canoe Map

I have an earlier edition of your book. Is there a way to mail order the map?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

The maps run about $10 at CAC. They do not send any out in the mail. I'll see what I can do.

Also, which edition of the guidebook do you have. I'm on the second edition third and last printing. Down to my last 180 books out of 2,500. With the advent of Strava, Trailforks.com and other programs, riders are mostly relying on a GPS signal (up to 20% loss). We're still hardcopy backup here with the sporadic signal losss throughout the dense redwoods of the JDSF. Search and Rescue has looked for a few in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The Scales area

Any suggestions for a route with a drop off and then ride back to the area near the botanical gardens? Looks like ~5mi of road riding from Mitchell Creek Dr? Will be staying in the last week of July and thinking about bring my bike this year. Would be riding solo.
You might want to ride the Caspar Scales area as it comes off Hwy 1 in the town of Caspar about 5 miles south of the Bot gardens.

Here's a route for you. Not too long but, a good leg burner none the less. It's called the Caspar Classic. Also a map to the Scales.

Good luck,

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.