Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get up to Nevada City over the weekend, but then I realized the money I'd spend on gas getting there and back would negate most of the "deal" factor. :madman: Wouldn't have minded picking up a nice steel CX fork, a couple stems, and who knows what else.

Did anyone make it up there?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I went up with a friend, and used riding Bullards Bar as a justification for making the drive. I was looking for a cheap Knobby X frame.

We stopped on the way up at ~8:15am and they were still getting set up for the sale. Stopped again on the way home around noon and there were a couple other people there looking. There were a ton of painted non-decaled frames for $699, and some with decals for $799. I didn't pay much attention to anything else there, though saw a pile of office equipment (HP Deskjet 500, fax machine, ...) that you probably couldn't even sell at a garage sale.

Bullards Bar was a nice ride, so the drive was worth it.

·
Jed Peters
1,412 Posts
Frames were way overpriced IMHO. Good craftsmanship adn tubing, but he's folding up, if the frame is done it's done, and 100 more for STICKERS? 800 bucks is just too much for a kelly at this point in the game....

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Folding or not, it really has little effect on the cost of materials or the labor into a frameset. $699 for a hand crafted frameset is nothing to scoff at. Might be more than you or I care to pay at this point in time, however there will people who can justify the expense and will end up with a great frameset from the closeout. A Kelly frameset is still as good as it was 2 months ago, you just aren't getting a warranty. Not a big deal on a steel frame since anyone could repair it if it gets damaged. I don't see to many warranty issues on Kelly bike frames though :cool:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If there was no such thing as ebay, he probably would take whatever someone offered....but I'm sure he'll sell them all off for a fair price on ebay...even sooner than we'd expect.

Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts