Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been on RAGBRAI and had any good stories to tell? They'll be rolling through my town on Thursday for Lunch, thinking of going and seeing all the people. Anyone going?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
oh yeah! i got storys. go check it out or better yet, ride it and get a few of yer own. its a total hoot! i hope to be there.

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
mthedude said:
Anyone been on RAGBRAI and had any good stories to tell? They'll be rolling through my town on Thursday for Lunch, thinking of going and seeing all the people. Anyone going?
If you go, ride a recumbent. That way you can pedal and hold a can of beer in one hand at the same time. Talk about a rolling party across Iowa! Too many stories to relate, but it's a quality time with exercise included. The "Tour de Food" is an apropos name for it.

I've done it 2x with my wife and kids on tandems. Then one year on a recumbent. I think this year, we're just going to do about 2-3 days worth depending on the weather and how we are feeling at the time. Usually the first few days are the best in terms of everyone's attitude, politeness, fun and the excitement of it all. The last few days become a grind and everyone starts to get grumpy from the grind as their minds and bodies start to fatigue. Hence, why we are thinking about the first days of RAGBRAI for this year.

BB

·
Registered
173 Posts
This one time, on RAGBRAI...

My wife and I have done 5 of these in a row...

After the first day I ever rode (back in the day, not married), a friend and I were staring up at the stars, trying to sleep on the ground in Charles City, when two girls stumble through the sprawl of tents in the dark...

Girl 1: We've got to quit f#$ing those guys.
Girl 2: Yeah (giggle...)
<pause>
Girl 2: But they feed us so much beer!

And the laughed and stumbled off into the night.

I knew then this was a ride I would join again soon ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always wanted to do it but can't make myself ride that many miles on my FS 30+ lb mountain bike. I always heard stories of these people who rode naked but I've yet to see them.

·
Living to ride
392 Posts
Wow this sounds like a party on 2 wheels!

·
Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
148 Posts
9 times

I've done 9 of them. You gotta ride behind the pack, and self-contained is the way to go. I did a few years of the party bus style, my buddy bought a bus, we fixed it up, yadda yadda yadda. Got drunk every night, rolled into the overnight town at 2am or later, and then had to find the bus. To hell with that. The bus is sold, we buy BOB trailers / panniers and go self contained. So many stories, so many parties, so much nudity you don't even notice it by the end of the week. It becomes normal.

The greatest thing about RAGBRAI, is that it can be whatever you make it. You can ride with your kids/parents and have a great time as a family. Eat great church lady food and the best pork chops in the world.

Or you can go party style:

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
My intentions were to do Weds thru Sat this year for my first time... Meeting friends just outside of the Des Moines point.
Although I forgot I made plans for the 29th months ago and it turns out why is the girl bought us concert tickets. :( So I'm a bit obligated. So I could ride Weds, Thu, Friday, but I haven't figured out how to get back to my car outside of Des Moines Fri night.
So Ragbrai looks to be another year off for me. :cryin:

That is unless I break up w/ her before then. Or break up and then try and get back together on Monday. :devil:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come on, I want some debauchery stories..............Anyone?

Ever wake up with a different chick in your tent each day, etc?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Debauchery abounds...

Go find out this year; you can't miss it.

However, the best thing about the ride (for me) is being able to hammer out 70+ miles every day for a week while meeting new people and not worrying about cars.

It really is about the RIDE. :D

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
fully said:
Go find out this year; you can't miss it.

However, the best thing about the ride (for me) is being able to hammer out 70+ miles every day for a week while meeting new people and not worrying about cars.

It really is about the RIDE. :D
Front page of the Des Moines Register today says they interviewed Lance Armstrong on the telephone yesterday and he has confirmed he will be riding at least a few days on this year's RAGBRAI:

=====

"I talked about my summer plans, talked about going to the Tour, and I said one day, 'You know what? Why don't we spend the end of the month and go to Iowa and not even go to the Tour?' "

Armstrong said he hoped to be on the ride "several days." ....he hopes to discuss the cancer issue with Iowans and encourage them to make cancer funding an issue with presidential candidates in both parties prior to Iowa's first-in-the-nation 2008 caucuses.

"We want to use this as an opportunity to be there amongst the riders and their friends and the communities, and just ride with them and talk with them and have the opportunity to share the message," Armstrong said.

He's not sure which portion of the week he'll ride, but he said this would not be an "in and out" visit to Iowa. And he already said he's pencilling the ride in for next year. "This wouldn't be a one-year commitment," he said. "We'd obviously want to be back next year if we behave ourselves."

=====

Let's see, the daily ride ought to take Lance about 2 hours leaving plenty of time for him to try and "behave" at the party.:cool: What a great way for Lance to use the stage as a political platform to push the cancer issue and his foundation's work. The guy will probably eventually end up in politics and be a success.:D

BB

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the paper on my desk and just read more about it online. I think what this boils down to will be; up at dawn, he'll be surrounded by a team of PR Handlers that won't let anyone within 20 feet of Lance. They'll ride non-stop to the next overnight town and setup press conferences w/the mayors and US Reps from each zone and it'll make the Register's front page,etc. Lots of people will be dissapointed because they want to meet him and they won't be able to, plus he'll probably either have his own RV to sleep in or he'll be put up in the local mayor's home or something like that so he won't be partying like the regulars. It's great he's coming, don't get me wrong but I don't think any real RAGBRAI'ers will ever see him or meet him. I hope I'm 100% wrong and he turns out to be the natural RAGBRAI'er but I doubt it.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Your close....really close to the mark.

mthedude said:
I have the paper on my desk and just read more about it online. I think what this boils down to will be; up at dawn, he'll be surrounded by a team of PR Handlers that won't let anyone within 20 feet of Lance. They'll ride non-stop to the next overnight town and setup press conferences w/the mayors and US Reps from each zone and it'll make the Register's front page,etc. Lots of people will be dissapointed because they want to meet him and they won't be able to, plus he'll probably either have his own RV to sleep in or he'll be put up in the local mayor's home or something like that so he won't be partying like the regulars. It's great he's coming, don't get me wrong but I don't think any real RAGBRAI'ers will ever see him or meet him. I hope I'm 100% wrong and he turns out to be the natural RAGBRAI'er but I doubt it.
It's 50ft, by the way, and yes, all appearances will be short and to the point with all the "right" people in attendance.

Ride all day? Are you kidding? Anybody that finds out he is riding through will scurry down to the roadside, blocking traffic for miles, and causing five times the normal RAGBRAI disruption to local traffic and everyday commerce. If he rides two hours it will be amazing and most people won't know where or when so as to avoid the scenario I have described.

Remember that ride across the nation by cancer survivors a year or so ago? People rumored that Lance would be showing up in Mason City, IA where the ride was scheduled to appear. The place was a madhouse with all the "Lance Seekers" waiting to catch a glimpse of the fabled Tour winner. He never showed up, wasting alot of peoples sick days! :rolleyes:

The local authorities are not prepared to deal with 10,000 plus lunatics waiting along a roadside for Lance to pass by with another 10,000 plus cyclists all in tow trying to ride with him. It's a totally rediculus scenario and is a fantasy of epic proportions.

Just my take, you can disagree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts