Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps,

I am brainstorming a fishing trip to Alaska next summer and am wondering about the prospects of renting an RV and using my MTB as a means of getting off road to explore small streams and such.

Anybody here an AK fly fishing MTB guru who users their bike to get access their favorite fishing holes?

If so, can you please share some of your experiences?

Thought about renting an ATV, but the costs are more than the RV and the rig to haul the RV, lol.

Thanks much!
G

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very doable plan, lots of streams out the Denali Hwy you can access to fish with a bike. Also some great mountain bike trails on the Kenai Peninsula that would get you into some fishing, look at Resurrection Pass, Johnson Pass and Russian Lakes Trails.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,711 Posts
Lots of people do, they'll do multi-day trips staying at cabins, except you have to reserve the cabins if you want to stay there. It just kind of depends on how remote you want to get as well. There are people that will do ultra-backcountry stuff on fatbikes in the summer or winter, circumnavigating stuff like the Wrangell Mtns, stuff where you have to get dropped off/picked up by airplane. It's all about how far in you want to get (and how much $$$ you have to support it). But in general, yes, quite a few people do just that, from the simple riding up to Crescent Lake or Russian River, to multi-day epic backcountry stuff. I did once to the Russian River, where I did hook a few, but didn't bring anything in. I was still working on technique then.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you can afford it, get off the road system.
Here's grayling fishing at the best:
Fly commercial into Kotzebue, then hire local bush-pilot to fly you to the north fork of the squirrel river.(15 minute flight), and drop you off. And pick you up in a week.
Be careful of the brown bears. They will be fishing too!
For even better and exiting fishing visit the Kelly river near Kivalina.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts