Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to take my bike to work most days on my expensive, locking Thule bike rack and a week ago it was stolen. The thief simply sawed the rack in half and took it along with my Anthem SX.

I won't trust any security device again but I still want to take a bike to work and hit a trail right afterwards. Going home first to pick up my bike would take too long and preclude riding on weekdays (booo!). Does anyone have any experience putting their bike in their trunk? I have a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 C on order and I'd like to take it in the trunk most days. I have a Camry, and I know that I can fit my Mukluk in the trunk with both wheels removed. I put the front wheel down first, then the frame, then set the rear wheel on top of the frame. I've taken it twice and no real issues so far. Does anyone have any long term experience transporting bikes in a trunk?

But with regards to a full suspension bike - do I run the risk of wearing out the hardware that connects the front and rear triangle by setting the frame on its side and driving around like that? I would think that the frame is put under far greater lateral stress when being ridden, but its worth asking. Is there an issue with sandwiching the frame in between the two wheels? If I was to separate each piece with a towel, say, would that prevent frame scratches and damage? Any different risks between transporting a carbon vs aluminum frame in this way?

If you have any experience toting a bike around in a trunk please post your advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I can't foresee any problems. Just make sure the rear derailleur doesn't get knocked around while in the trunk, or getting it in and out. Make sure you don't squeeze hydraulic brake levers while the wheels are off. Also, be careful not to put weight on the rotors, as they could get bent/warped.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
I can fit my flux in the back of a x3 with the seats up. Frame first RD up then stack the wheels rotors up and pull out the rear cover..done.

PS if you run tubeless use a sheet or something to cover the interior of the trunk

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
You may want to stop at a bike shop and ask for the plastic spacers that are placed between the pads during shipping. I have accidentally pulled or had something pull on the brake lever while the wheel was not in place which makes putting the wheel back on difficult. Not a huge deal, you just pry the pads back open but the spacers just help eliminate that.

I understand you worries. We had a bike stolen from the top of somebodies vehicle here at work recently. Security footage showed the guy jumping on top of the vehicles roof and just "ripping" it loose from the locked carrier, then proceeded to ride right off with it. :madmax:

Been carrying my bike in my trunk no for over 5 years with no real issues. Can't imagine any issue with side loading the linkages either

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Last car I had (VW Passat), I would just remove the front wheel and lay down the rear seats. The bike would fit w/ the rear wheel on. Just be careful about the brakes w/o the wheel attached, as mentioned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies!

jrm - when you say 'pull out the rear cover' are you referring to something on your vehicle?

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Yes - cargo cover that pulls out from the rear seats and attaches to the hatch. Out of sight out of mind..

·
Registered
989 Posts
Take your bike inside at work. I've transported my bike inside my FR-s and left it locked with a cable while going to eat, but am pretty Leary of doing it. I cover it with a tarp hide it best as can, but still. Someone going through the trouble of sawing through your rack would likely go through the trouble of breaking a window or prying trunk open.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts