Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a trip out to Moab and thinking about flying directly into Moab. Ultimately I would have to rent a car once I get there so I wonder if it would really be worth it. Anyone out there have any positive or negative experiences flying into Moab? Does it justify an additional cost of a ticket at $230 more?

·
Registered
511 Posts
FWIW- use Grand Junction Airport

Larger, served by more airlines, more rental cars, only 1.5 hours from Moab. Moab's airport is really small IMHO, and since we live in GJ, we know that the facilities here are much better. Also, Moab's airport is something like 10 miles from the town.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I agree with Rick, plus if you have to rent a car you can hit Fruita as well/

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Renting a car in SLC and driving down 4 scenic hours to Moab or Fruita and back is just about as fast if not faster than waiting for a connection to GJ flying and then getting a rental to go where you want. Sometimes the 2 times daily flight between SLC and GJ are canceled when they aren't full (it happened to us once and we lost almost a day of riding).

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
I few into Moab airport directly from Salt Lake city. The trip to Moab was pretty good, but my flight got cancelled for the way back. No amount of crying, pleading helped me get another filght within the next two days. It seems as if that if they have less than a set amount of people booked, they just cancel the flight.

Ultimately, I had to drive up to SLC and get my connecting flights from there.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the feedback! You know when I posted this I thought it was a silly question- I mean it is an airport right? Because I have never flown into a small airport like that I thought let me just be safe and ask... Glad I did! I never thought they would just cancel flights! I'll be flying into Grand Junction.

Thank You Everybody!!!!!

·
MTBR Demi-God
838 Posts
Molasses said:
Thank you for the feedback! You know when I posted this I thought it was a silly question- I mean it is an airport right? Because I have never flown into a small airport like that I thought let me just be safe and ask... Glad I did! I never thought they would just cancel flights! I'll be flying into Grand Junction.

Thank You Everybody!!!!!
Yes, its a very, very small airport. Honestly, I believe your house is bigger than the airport. They do not have a conveyor belt, so all the checked luggage gets taken out from the plane are are kept beside it- you have to walk up to the plane and get it.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Like in Major League when they walked up the their Indian plane?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts