Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First things first, mind my ignorance of Florida's geography. I currently live in Australia, but am hopefully moving (somewhere near) the Merrit Island area for study in January. Would this be classified as Central FL? Am just wondering if theres much riding around the area.. obviously will drive to where it all happens, so anywhere within say an hours drive away? Possibly Orlando way?

I'm into DJ/Freeride/DH and general single track stuff is good fun.. even skate parks if anyone could recommend?

I did a quick search and understand theres a few places closer to Miami (Amelia Earhart and Markham etc) but was wondering if theres much closer to where i'll be?

Any help would be fantastic!
Thanks!

·
I hate that name.
1,643 Posts
Yep, XC and general trail riding describes almost all of FL riding. Merritt Island is on the mid east coast, pretty much the second worst place for a mtb'r in FL, the first is the far west panhandle. Sorry to be the bearer.

·
XXIX
457 Posts
There is a trail near Merrit Island that is somewhat FR but its kept on the down low. When you get here PM me and I will give you the info. Graham Swamp in Palm Coast is xc but you can get some pretty big air with lots of jumps and quick elevation changes.
Welcome. I live just up the road form Merrit Island.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep, XC and general trail riding describes almost all of FL riding. Merritt Island is on the mid east coast, pretty much the second worst place for a mtb'r in FL, the first is the far west panhandle. Sorry to be the bearer.
Well dont know about second worse I live in Key West and it is by far the worse for a moutain biker!! So bad I ended up with a road bike :madman:

·
Ye Olde Phartt
60 Posts
Santos in Belleview has a great DJ section (tabletops and doubles) as well as various heights of drops and a couple of pump tracks. This is in additional to many miles of great trails.

The Chuck Lennon trails in DeLeon Springs is a great up-and-coming spot with some small jumps in a freeride area as well as log rides, skinny bridges, and well-marked challenging trails with some good elevation changes (for Florida, that is).

The Vans skatepark in Orlando has bike-only sessions on Tuesday and Thursday nights. However, Vans is scheduled to close in January after 10 years of operation.

There used to be a great bike-friendly skatepark called Mesh in Longwood but I think it finally closed after many years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks heaps guys.. i figured as much of FL being flat.. just being hopeful! not much different to where i'm from (being western australia, really not much other than what we make ourselves)

It isn't a permanent move, so I'll probably end up buying another bike there, so after the first couple of weeks i'll decide whether i'll go the freeride/dualie route or just get a DJ/park bike. Any possible heads up where I should look? Any particularly decent bike shops in the area?

Thanks GatorB, i'll definitely hit you up once i'm settled in. go for a ride sometime if your into the same kinda thing? would be great to meet some locals!

Some video's on youtube of Santos looks pretty sweet!

Thanks again for the help!
Kev

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,348 Posts
Hey Florida guys,

Whats the deal on that riding area they were going to open on the old closed down Navy base in Orlando? Did that ever come through?

I remember reading that there was maybe going to be some bike-park like stuff built there.

·
Jackalope Hunter
934 Posts
Hey Florida guys,

Whats the deal on that riding area they were going to open on the old closed down Navy base in Orlando? Did that ever come through?

I remember reading that there was maybe going to be some bike-park like stuff built there.
There's a short XC trail and a big pump track already built...but the property has some contaminated soil on it that was discovered after a building was recently demo'd. The city of Orlando isn't going to open until its deemed safe. The problem is that according to the city, the Navy's supposed to be the one cleaning up the contamination...

...so it could be a while. :madman:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.