Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
People that don't uses granny is because the terrain is not as steep/long or because they have so much power that they can pull midle ring in big hills, so they don't need the granny

For me, not having the granny would be sometimes a big disadvantage:D :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ivantcs said:
had seen some pros having only the middle and biggest chainring.
they removed the granny.
is there any disadvantage of having it there?
It is not just weight. With 2 rings the front shifting can be more reliable. Can not miss the middle ring. Less front shifting needed, which is usually slower than a rear shift.
Many times the inner ring ring is in the 28-30t range. Plenty low enough for a strong rider when combined with a 32t rear cog.
No need for inner or outer guard rings either. If the chain stays on with a triple it will stay on with a double.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Heck, I'm the other way around. I never used the granny till I moved to the Rockies so I can see getting rid of it. Now, I use it all the time and almost never use the big ring. So, the big ring is the one to go....funny how big mountains and a lack of Oxygen makes the previously-ignored granny a good friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.