Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
I've just ordered a C'dale Prophet 3 that comes with a stock Pike 409 coil u-turn. I also own a hardtail with a Tora 318 air which I really like, so I've decided to swap the 409 coil for another Pike, this time with air spring, both to save weight and to facilitate setting the compression (I don't do crazy jumps, just honest all mountain 30 mile trips, with lots of climbing and lots of technical descents9.
Well, my shopkeeper has recommended fitting a Pike Team Dual air with floodgate, for an additional 230 Euros or so, instead of the stock 409 coil u-turn. He says the Team is identical to the 426, but better value, being a previous year model.
My questions are: Is the Team equivalent to the 426? If so, what are the upgrades for 426? Does this look like a good deal?
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
397 Posts
426 is coil only, 454 is dual air. The team has the hollow arch and this has been reinforced with the newer Pikes (they had issues with cracking at the arch). I would go with the newer models as opposed to the team.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTV8 said:
Have you checked the RockShox website? They have plenty of information describing all their models. http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/allmountain/pike/#tab1 Functionally the pikes are all pretty much the same. The biggest differences are weight due to the material used in the crown and steerer tubes.
Yup. The thing is that I wasn't quite sure what the Team was equivalent to, in the new naming. I thought it was the 426, fishing around the web I now believe the Team is equivalent to the 454 (one clue: the weight is the same for the 454 and the Team versions of the Coil U-Turn: 5lbs)

Looks like I'm swapping the heavy Coil 409 (5.4lbs) for the Team air (4.5lbs) :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.