Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i picked up a new set of shimano 755's and ordered a hose on sale for 5 bucks from performance. They only had a 60cm and 100cm lines in stock and i measured to see if the 60cm would be long enough and it was a toss up if it would fit but was worth a shot, i hated to order the 100cm one and wrap it around the bike like a string of Christmas lights. well i can make the 60cm line fit but im not too happy with it and plan to find a longer one. however i have a few old bottles of magura blood oil, can i run it in the system? I'd like to be able to them break in while im waiting for a new line. thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Mineral oil is mineral oil. The only discernable difference could be the weight or viscosity difference although, upon close personal examination I can't find any. Both Shimano and Magura probably both source their respective fluids from the same supplier!
Iron City Mike said:
i picked up a new set of shimano 755's and ordered a hose on sale for 5 bucks from performance. They only had a 60cm and 100cm lines in stock and i measured to see if the 60cm would be long enough and it was a toss up if it would fit but was worth a shot, i hated to order the 100cm one and wrap it around the bike like a string of Christmas lights. well i can make the 60cm line fit but im not too happy with it and plan to find a longer one. however i have a few old bottles of magura blood oil, can i run it in the system? I'd like to be able to them break in while im waiting for a new line. thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats kind of what i was thinking too, oil's oil except if they add any additives but they sure do seem a lot alike and all the searches I've done i haven't been able found anything too concrete on the topic, maybe ill just hold off

·
Registered
313 Posts
Iron City Mike said:
yeah thats kind of what i was thinking too, oil's oil except if they add any additives but they sure do seem a lot alike and all the searches I've done i haven't been able found anything too concrete on the topic, maybe ill just hold off
If it were my bike I'd run the stuff that the manufacturer wants you to, just for the fact you don't know what the seals are going to do. Some people run either fluid in both brakes and have no problems, some have had problems with leaks afterwards. Most likely, nothing will happen your brakes will be just fine.... just don't use the department store stuff, you never know what the weight of it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts