Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Go Big or Go Home
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Maui in Jan/Feb and want to know if there are any DH races on Maui or at least any good DH shuttle runs where I could use a DH specific bike. I'm thinking of buying a new DH bike in the next week or so and want to know if I'll still be able to use it once I move there.

My trail bike is a Santa Cruz Nomad, but want a DH specific bike for shuttling. I used to race DH on Oahu, but never really did any biking on Maui, so I'm not familiar with what Maui has to offer.

Mahalo.

·
Hisforever
1,863 Posts
I can tell you, bring/buy the DH bike too, what are you getting?.

We have some options. Maybe not as much as Oahu, (never ridden there) but we have some good rides, you will be able to put the Nomad and the DH bike to good use.

Some new blood! Are you into or have you ever been into building & making new trails?

Thats what I think Maui really needs, newer and bigger DH/FR runs!

Theres so much potential, but so little enthusiasm. The shops over here focus more on promoting roadies and road events.

Let us know when you're around. If the surf is lame we will be riding!

·
Go Big or Go Home
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at a few different DH bikes. The local bike shops have all the 2005 bikes on clearance, so I'm looking at an Ironhorse Sunday or a Specialized Demo 8 or 9, any thoughts?

I'd like to build a custom DH rig, like a Santa Cruz V-10 or an Intense M3, but since I just bought my Nomad a few months ago, funds are kind of tight right now. Looks like I'll go ahead a get the DH bike and bring it to Maui. Looking forward to hooking-up some time.

SHAHEEB said:
I can tell you, bring/buy the DH bike too, what are you getting?.

We have some options. Maybe not as much as Oahu, (never ridden there) but we have some good rides, you will be able to put the Nomad and the DH bike to good use.

Some new blood! Are you into or have you ever been into building & making new trails?

Thats what I think Maui really needs, newer and bigger DH/FR runs!

Theres so much potential, but so little enthusiasm. The shops over here focus more on promoting roadies and road events.

Let us know when you're around. If the surf is lame we will be riding!

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Mauisoljah96790 said:
dude your so paranoid. quit being a little girl.
:rolleyes: ...
...spoken like a true little boy....

You've been on Maui how long? You've spent how many hours on legitimate trail work? You've contributed to trail access here on Maui exactly how? Do you really think anyone in a position to let us have more leeway in trail building would take you seriously with that attitude? If more people were as "paranoid" as Airwreck we'd have more options still open to us.

You can be an asset to biking or a hindrance. Building big jumps is all cool until you piss off the wrong people who can seriously affect our access to those areas. I'm not ragging on everyone who is building stunts because some have also spent many hours on trails that have become accepted by the powers that be (ahemshaheebinsteinahem). We've just got to drop the name calling, work together and be a little more stealthy when going big with the construction projects.

·
Registered
13 Posts
whodaphuck said:
:rolleyes: ...
...spoken like a true little boy....

You've been on Maui how long? You've spent how many hours on legitimate trail work? You've contributed to trail access here on Maui exactly how? Do you really think anyone in a position to let us have more leeway in trail building would take you seriously with that attitude? If more people were as "paranoid" as Airwreck we'd have more options still open to us.

You can be an asset to biking or a hindrance. Building big jumps is all cool until you piss off the wrong people who can seriously affect our access to those areas. I'm not ragging on everyone who is building stunts because some have also spent many hours on trails that have become accepted by the powers that be (ahemshaheebinsteinahem). We've just got to drop the name calling, work together and be a little more stealthy when going big with the construction projects.
I have been riding maui for twelve years, lived there for twenty, i have helped work on trails in poli polis many years ago as part of the DLNR team. And if i build anything its on private property. so chill out. i just think maybe some exposure to the great trails we have would be better. instead of keeping everything a damn secret.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Mauisoljah96790 said:
I have been riding maui for twelve years, lived there for twenty, i have helped work on trails in poli polis many years ago as part of the DLNR team. And if i build anything its on private property. so chill out. i just think maybe some exposure to the great trails we have would be better. instead of keeping everything a damn secret.
Okay, so you've been riding here since you were 7 (unless your profile is mistaken). You must've been quite young when they did those trails in Poli Poli, so I guess you're an old hand at trail work. If so, that's great and you could be a great asset to those of us who came after you. My point is that some of the "amusements" that have been built are pissing off those same DLNR mucky mucks that you helped with the trails in your pre teens, and they have and will continue to take them out along with any of the more benign trails leading to those areas that we've gained along the way.

You just gotta be careful which existing trails get "exposure" and where new ones should be located.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,930 Posts
Mauisoljah96790 said:
i had nothing to do with kahakapao.
sorry, didn't read your profile before I spoke, insert friend, after your.

not sure about how I "act" like I'm the only person who rides on Maui?

So now I'm asking myself why would I want to do anything that might benefit you?

And you wonder why things have to be secret...

·
Registered
13 Posts
whodaphuck said:
Okay, so you've been riding here since you were 7 (unless your profile is mistaken). You must've been quite young when they did those trails in Poli Poli, so I guess you're an old hand at trail work. If so, that's great and you could be a great asset to those of us who came after you. My point is that some of the "amusements" that have been built are pissing off those same DLNR mucky mucks that you helped with the trails in your pre teens, and they have and will continue to take them out along with any of the more benign trails leading to those areas that we've gained along the way.

You just gotta be careful which existing trails get "exposure" and where new ones should be located.
yes i have been riding that long, and helped with maintenence in poli poli. And i am not saying we need huge stunts and jumps to make downhill fun, just some exposure on legal trails, like skyline, or mamane. I would also be more than happy to help with trail work, but i am living on the mainland right now. no dis respect to any of you guys who fight for our maui trail access. we just need to quit being so tense about our situation on maui, enjoy the riding we have and fight for more legal trails.

ok?

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Mauisoljah96790 said:
yes i have been riding that long, and helped with maintenence in poli poli. And i am not saying we need huge stunts and jumps to make downhill fun, just some exposure on legal trails, like skyline, or mamane. I would also be more than happy to help with trail work, but i am living on the mainland right now. no dis respect to any of you guys who fight for our maui trail access. we just need to quit being so tense about our situation on maui, enjoy the riding we have and fight for more legal trails.

ok?
That's exactly what IS going on. Any implied secrecy wasn't meant to keep people away from Maui and it's legal trails, it was to keep the focus off of those areas that aren't so much. Us "little girls" don't want to lose any more of them.

·
Hisforever
1,863 Posts
Mauisoljah96790 said:
. And i am not saying we need huge stunts and jumps to make downhill fun, just some exposure on legal trails, like skyline, or mamane. . no dis respect to any of you guys who fight for our maui trail access. we just need to quit being so tense about our situation on maui, enjoy the riding we have and fight for more legal trails.

ok?
tense, explains the whole offroad scene here in Maui, anything but XC is tense, or is it INTENSE! sorry, but bigger is better in my opinion...

the exposure is already on and out there, everyone who comes here knows about the 'legal trail' Poli Poli.
:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts