1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I assume you mean the Wyoming border. This probably won't be much help, but with that warning . . .

There are some trails along Deadman Road, west of Red Feather Lakes, which might be a bit of a trek since you'd have to take Co 14 or 80C over the hill to get there. One is called Killpeper (I think), but I haven't ridden it.

I hear that there are a lot of FS-type roads in the Colorado State Forest, which is located up along Cameron Pass (you'd take Highway 14 east).

I really haven't spent time up in the Larimer River valley, but you could see how long of a drive it would be to Steamboat and/or the Snowy Range.

You could also just explore the moutains east of where you'll be. I think there's a lot of wilderness in the mountains to the west (such as Mount Zirkel).

·
single track ****
628 Posts
Dadds Gulch and Roaring creek are both off HWY 14 near Rustic, and are fun trails. You can connect Roaring creek up to Elkhorn Baldy, and make a big loop w/ killpecker / N. Lone Pine trail. S. Lone Pine is a fun one, but might be a bit hot, and hard to follow in spots.Nunn Creek and Deadman trail are up by where you're going to be too, but I haven't ridden those myself. I'ld pick up a copy of Trails Illustrated # 111, and go nuts. Have fun!

·
friend of Apex
4,009 Posts
Pabs said:
There are some trails along Deadman Road, west of Red Feather Lakes, which might be a bit of a trek since you'd have to take Co 14 or 80C over the hill to get there. One is called Killpeper (I think), but I haven't ridden it.
KillPecker
also try this one, or this one

I hear that there are a lot of FS-type roads in the Colorado State Forest, which is located up along Cameron Pass (you'd take Highway 14 east).
Tons, indeed. Explore

I really haven't spent time up in the Larimer River valley, but you could see how long of a drive it would be to Steamboat and/or the Snowy Range.
A longer drive than is necessary. Good trails are close.

You could also just explore the moutains east of where you'll be. I think there's a lot of wilderness in the mountains to the west (such as Mount Zirkel).
Can't bike in Wilderness areas:mad:

You cant go wrong, just get a map and get out there.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Killpecker is an awesome ride especially if you can shuttle it. The fire road climb isn't bad its just monotonous but some killer views. If you finish killpecker another good ride along deadman is North Lone Pine it follows a decent sized creek for many miles. Check out dpmbp.org for trail mappage

·
I like bloody ankles
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, now I'm pumped to go, I really didn't think there'd be much in the area. Actually I should have known better, seems every place I've been in the Rockies over the years has served me great singletrack, some being the best rides of my life (14'ers region stands out as one of the all-time best.)

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I hope I can return the favor if you ever visit So Cal.

·
Open the canned peaches!
177 Posts
I've been looking at maps of this area a bit lately as my family will be camping at Chambers lake over the 4th. Was wondering if anyone has ridden Green Ridge Road (seen as a trail on one of my maps) what it's like, and if the Nunn Creek trail would let me loop back to Laramie River Road or if there is any other way onto LR Rd from Green Ridge. I couldn't find any Nunn Creek trail, but see a Nunn Creek Rd. Roaring Creek looks like a good loop back to Hwy 14, but not sure if I'll have time for that and the ride back along 14 doesn't sound so great over the holiday weekend.
I'm also looking at riding the Michigan Ditch to American Lakes trail if it's dry. Any thoughts on that one? I heard that Long Draw Rd is still closed for the beetle spraying, nixing my thoughts for checking out Trapp Lake trail.
Would still like to check out the State Forest stuff, but probably won't have time for much more than a couple of couple hour rides (including driving if needed.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.