Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
circumfrence measurement

With a 155# rider and the 2.25 & 2.3 Jones XRs at 40psi I measured 2280mm. I also noticed that my newer cateye has no instructions for a do it yourself measurement, but it will take the number.

I put a dot of grease on the tire and rode it across the garage, then measured. Works well.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I agree with ssmike - the Garmin are nice, you can have a few mounts and switch them between your rides in seconds. Clean and lots of information if you are a techno-geek like so many of us...

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
eastender said:
With a 155# rider and the 2.25 & 2.3 Jones XRs at 40psi I measured 2280mm. I also noticed that my newer cateye has no instructions for a do it yourself measurement, but it will take the number.

I put a dot of grease on the tire and rode it across the garage, then measured. Works well.
Did you go as far as airing up to riding pressure and sitting on the bike when you did this?
:)

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
jbogner - does your cateye hookup to your personal computer to take the data out, or do you manually enter the info from your cateye into the personal computer for training info etc? If the cateye doesn't, do other cycling computers connect to PC/Macs via USB or anything?

For me, I really love the GPS and all the software that is out there to take the data and crunch the numbers and help me learn from that info. I could see how a smaller and cheaper unit might be helpful, but if it requires manual data entry, then forget it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did you make sure to take chain and cog wear into your gear inch equation...

Most cycling computers allow manual wheel size input. if you are worried about exact tire displacement on uneven rocky terrain...get a hobby.

Cateye Enduro Is my pick. stores 2 separate wheel diameters' for those whom use multiple tire sizes. and very easy to add/change input.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
There are lots of cycle computers out there now that have computer interface capabilities AFAIK, but for sure the Polar HRM do this and give so much data - I love my S725.

JSD303 said:
jbogner - does your cateye hookup to your personal computer to take the data out, or do you manually enter the info from your cateye into the personal computer for training info etc? If the cateye doesn't, do other cycling computers connect to PC/Macs via USB or anything?

For me, I really love the GPS and all the software that is out there to take the data and crunch the numbers and help me learn from that info. I could see how a smaller and cheaper unit might be helpful, but if it requires manual data entry, then forget it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.