Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new bike after my '98 S-Works full XTR was stolen. I found an '06 S-Works Epic Carbon Disc on sale today. The only thing I really don't like about it is the dual control shifters + brake levers. I've looked at the reviews and forums but haven't seen anything dramatically bad. I'm a little concerned about potential reliability and replacement issues down the road with the suspension. The other possibility is a Santa Cruz Blur XC, but that's not as much of an aggressive XC style. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I am on my second Epic (07 Marathon now). My previous was 04 Epic. I beat the Sht out of that bike and the shock just asked for more. The 07 Shock had a silent recall, but the 06 Shock is mint (it was the last shock made by Fox, the new ones are made by Specialized). I don't think there is any concern for this bike other than the dual controls. I don't care for them, but it's purely personal preferences. I'm not comfortable taking that many fingers off grip just to shift.

You will probable get a lot of 'love/hate' posts on the dual controls.

If my current Epic were stolen, I would be just as happy with an 06 S-Works. Of course if my Epic were stolen, I would hold a lock down in my community equivalent to the 9/11 air traffic freeze until I found my bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guppie58 said:
I am on my second Epic (07 Marathon now). My previous was 04 Epic. I beat the Sht out of that bike and the shock just asked for more. The 07 Shock had a silent recall, but the 06 Shock is mint (it was the last shock made by Fox, the new ones are made by Specialized). I don't think there is any concern for this bike other than the dual controls. I don't care for them, but it's purely personal preferences. I'm not comfortable taking that many fingers off grip just to shift.

You will probable get a lot of 'love/hate' posts on the dual controls.

If my current Epic were stolen, I would be just as happy with an 06 S-Works. Of course if my Epic were stolen, I would hold a lock down in my community equivalent to the 9/11 air traffic freeze until I found my bike.
Thanks. I currently dislike the dual control levers. I'll probably give them a try and switch back if I can't stand them. The bike shop said they'd swap out the shifters and levers at cost and let me eBay the dual controls.

Anyone know where I can find Shimano spec/instructions sheets for 952/970/975 RapidFire shifters? I want to confirm that my old RapidFire shifters could pull the cable with the thumb shifter far enough to move 3 gears. I'm pretty sure I could. The dual control levers on the '06, and even the new '07 XTR, will only go 2 at a time.

How about the tubless tires? I've heard good and bad on them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone know the invoice price on this bike? I see $6500 MSRP online. The LBS shows $7100 marked down to $6500. Beyond that I'm seeing sales prices between $4500 and $6000.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I believe it was $6500. The LBS must be inflating it so it shows a big discount. I don't recall any Specialized MTB costing more than $6500. I don't have access to SP website at work, what does the current Sworks cost? Maybe I'm wrong.

My 2004 Rapid Fires shifted three gears no problem. My new 2007 ones do as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guppie58 said:
I believe it was $6500. The LBS must be inflating it so it shows a big discount. I don't recall any Specialized MTB costing more than $6500. I don't have access to SP website at work, what does the current Sworks cost? Maybe I'm wrong.

My 2004 Rapid Fires shifted three gears no problem. My new 2007 ones do as well.
I'm curious about the price the bike store pays for the bike. I think it is around $4500. I talked to one store, and they said there's a minimum retail price of $6000 they can charge for current model year bikes. MSRP is $6500, but we all know that's well above dealer cost.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guppie58 said:
Three? Really? In the up or down direction? I looked at Shimano's docs for the new shifters and it looks like they're supposed to go 2 in either direction. My old RapidFire shifters would go three pulling in cable and 1 letting it out. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'm confused by what you mean when you say 'pull'. If your referring to dumping gears, yeah it would dump three. The new ones do go two in either direction. I don't like the new XTR because I heard it's very sensitive on the down shift so that you may shift twice when you only wanted once. Thus I bought the new XT's. Get the benefit of dual action shifting with thumb/finger yet no concern of shifting two at once.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guppie58 said:
I'm confused by what you mean when you say 'pull'. If your referring to dumping gears, yeah it would dump three. The new ones do go two in either direction. I don't like the new XTR because I heard it's very sensitive on the down shift so that you may shift twice when you only wanted once. Thus I bought the new XT's. Get the benefit of dual action shifting with thumb/finger yet no concern of shifting two at once.
Pull means pulling cable from the derailleur. For rapid fire levers this means pushing the big paddle. For dual control levers this means pushing down on the brake lever.

For a standard high-normal derailleur, pulling cable brings the derailleur towards lower gears = larger cogs. For the backwards rapid rise derailleurs which are low-normal, pulling cable brings the derailleur towards higher gears = smaller cogs.

In my last post I was confusing the '07 XTR dual control vs. the rapid fire. I ended up buying an '07 S-Works Epic today, so now I know the scoop.

The '07 rapid fire levers can pull 4 gears by pushing the big paddle. They can release 2 gears with either pushing the little paddle or pulling the index finger lever. They're pretty sweet.

According to Shimano's docs fo the '07 XTR dual control, they can go two gears either pulling or pushing cable. The '06 dual controls I tried would pull 2-3 and release 1.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
briscoelab said:
The 06 model was $7100 retail. They reduced it to $6500 for this year.
If the '06 started at $7100 retail, I doubt it really sold for that much. I think invoice on it was around $4500.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The mark up between MSRP and Retail is close to 35% typically on MTB's. Personally I think 6500 is too much for a 06. Many shops don't even ask msrp for current model years, and thats only like 10% off. 5500 is more like it in my opinion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.