Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Its my understanding that if you purchase a specialzed comp, you will get the fox triad which people have said is not that great. I have also heard that its no possible to upgrade to the specialized brain shock for whatever reason( no mounts brackets, unable to order it, etc..)

So my question is if you were very much dissatisfied with the triad shock and did not want to buy a specialized Expert for $3,300( which is $1,100 more than the base stumpjumper). What shocks could you upgrade to which would ask similar or exactly the same as the brain?

Any comparable shocks to the Brain shock by specialized which will react to the road and adjust the shock accordingly?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It seems that most 2007 FSR owners are happy with their Triads, while owners of previous years are a mixed bag. I have an 07, and my Triad works great. Basically, run it as it is and then replace it or whatever when you need to. If you ride a Stumpy with a different shock and realize that's what you want, then go for it. I thought about doing the same thing, but I found that my shock works rather well. As I have gotten used to tuning it for specific terrain, it works really great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Student Driver said:
It seems that most 2007 FSR owners are happy with their Triads, while owners of previous years are a mixed bag. I have an 07, and my Triad works great. Basically, run it as it is and then replace it or whatever when you need to. If you ride a Stumpy with a different shock and realize that's what you want, then go for it. I thought about doing the same thing, but I found that my shock works rather well. As I have gotten used to tuning it for specific terrain, it works really great.
Hi.

1. Can you tell me if on the 2007, if there is any bob when you are pedaling hard so that you won't loose efficiency? I believe this is called propedal or lockout feature?

2. They said the brain make it like a hard tail when you are on a smooth road. Is the triad also like a hard tail in lockout or propedal mode?

3. Is the propedal mode able to absorb bumps like the brain when you are over rough trails?

4. Would the triad( another shock) be the same as the brain with the exaction that you would have to adjust it ahead of time?

5. If your opinion, how much extra is it work for a stumpjumper with a brain shock vs one without a brain shock?

6. Does the brain just change the settings on the shock based on the riding situation? In other words, hypothetically could a person get the same benefits of adjusting the shock settings to propedal or lockout for a fire road than adjust it to plush before going on a very bumpy trail?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Jonnydanger said:
Hi.

1. Can you tell me if on the 2007, if there is any bob when you are pedaling hard so that you won't loose efficiency? I believe this is called propedal or lockout feature?

2. They said the brain make it like a hard tail when you are on a smooth road. Is the triad also like a hard tail in lockout or propedal mode?

3. Is the propedal mode able to absorb bumps like the brain when you are over rough trails?

4. Would the triad( another shock) be the same as the brain with the exaction that you would have to adjust it ahead of time?

5. If your opinion, how much extra is it work for a stumpjumper with a brain shock vs one without a brain shock?

6. Does the brain just change the settings on the shock based on the riding situation? In other words, hypothetically could a person get the same benefits of adjusting the shock settings to propedal or lockout for a fire road than adjust it to plush before going on a very bumpy trail?

Thanks for your help.
1. Since I have spent nearly as much time road riding as I have mountain biking, I probably pedal quite a bit smoother than most. As such, I rarely have any pedal bob with my 07. The only time I start seeing any is when I am pedaling poorly (such as not feeling very well) and when I have the spring pressure high and the damping really low. I also weigh 230 (probably 250 with gear) so the shock is doing a pretty good job. This is with the Triad in "ProPedal" mode. In open mode, the shock is every easy to move and doesn't take much to get it going. I usually use the Triad in ProPedal, and don't bother with the other two settings. In fact, if I just lockout the fork for sprinting the backend feels like a rock as well.

2. As written above, the ProPedal mode works fine for me. If you use the lockout, then you will have a ride very similar to a hardtail, but it will "blow off" if it encounters a big hit to actuate travel (keeps it from being damaged internally). I just lock the fork (TALAS 32) while sprinting on roads.

3. Yep, but it isn't as dramatic in differences. The Brain lets the damper go from active to "almost locked" very quickly. In ProPedal mode, the Triad just keeps the damper for oscillating during low-speed compression events (such as pedal bob) when there isn't a large amount of force (like rocking the bike back and forth). Its transition back and forth is much more subtle, and is a whole different experience from the Brain.

4. I have read that the Brain adjustments are hard to work (or near impossible) while riding. The Triad, on the other hand, is easy to work while riding. However, to be fair, most people will just "set it and forget it" because they don't understand the effect of changes in suspension on their trails. This mentality also extends to those that get the Cannondale RP23 shock and use them on the FSR. It does fit, and that's fine, but the normal "open" compression and rebound circuitry were configured for use with a single-pivot frame. This will keep the FSR more damped than either the Triad or the Brain would in "normal" modes, and still more than the Triad would in ProPedal mode. For those that feel they are simply moving too much, then this is fine. In fact, the 07 Triad might have more compression and rebound in normal operation than the 06 did. But I wouldn't be too quick to grab one intended for another frame/suspension design and throw it on the FSR. I would consider getting one from PUSH though, since they will tune it for the intended use.

5. I don't really follow this question well. For me, I don't really have a desire for the Brain as I want the air spring/damper to be actuating all the time, rather than having a mechanism that keeps it fairly stiff until it determines when to turn on. The ProPedal valving does this a bit, but it isn't anywhere as extreme as the Brain. For those that induce quite a bit of pedal bob no matter what suspension design they are riding, then the Brain would be a better choice so they don't feel like they are wasting energy with it. This isn't an issue for me.

6. Kinda. From what I have seen and read, the Brain has several adjustments to make it more "plush" but you can't work them while riding. Basically, you set the damper for your intended ride (compression, rebound) and then ride. The Brain will decide when to let your airspring actuate by being close to the rear axle and "sensing" when to permit stroke to occur in the airspring. It's a great design for those that demand much more hardtail-like behavior as much as possible and still be able to absorb bumps.

The best bet would be for you to try both and get an idea for what you like. If you want ultra-efficient climbing and don't want to worry about sacrificing any energy, then the Brain is the way to go. Otherwise, just get the Triad. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.