Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm planning on using my old trek 4500 to commute to work and such and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind of head light i should get. i did some research and it seems like lots of people were dissatisfied with regular battery powered lamps and the rechargeable ones look disgustingly expensive. i also saw some sidewall dynamo generators and hub generators. does anyone have any experience with these? thanks.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Check out Nashbar

They have a nighthawk viper light for only $45.00. It should be good enough for commuting, and maybe even enough for some light trail riding. I am sure that it would provide more light than the cheaper units, and the price is not "obscene".

·
255 Posts
I use a basic NiteRider Trail Rat rechargable light. I think its a 10 watt light and it cost about $80-100. It will probably pay for itself over time - gas or metro savings, improved health/productivity, etc. - and be cheaper than a standard battery operated light since you won't have to buy AA's every week to keep it fresh (probably more often in the cold weather). Its also solid enough for dual duty as a casual MTB night ride light.

·
Registered
217 Posts
chungaroo said:
i'm planning on using my old trek 4500 to commute to work and such and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what kind of head light i should get. i did some research and it seems like lots of people were dissatisfied with regular battery powered lamps and the rechargeable ones look disgustingly expensive. i also saw some sidewall dynamo generators and hub generators. does anyone have any experience with these? thanks.
Most local laws stated that there needs to be a red light in the rear and a headlight in the front.
My ride home is at 1am in the morning.
I have used and broken several AA battery ones.
I decided to go without lights. Stay on well lit roads and pretend that I am invisible to traffic and get out of the way.
So far . after some 10 years. No run-ins with cars , cops or any problems.
I do carry a small maglite in my bag in case of a mechanical.
However , At the local shop I work PT at .
There is a cateye LED light that the customers rave about.
Uses little battery power but is bright.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts