Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
like the title says... any clyds running ghetto tubeless?... whadt are your thoughts on them? worth the extra trouble?

what advantages did you see (if any)?

i'm not ready for them yet... but seems like something to consider maybe...
thanks
mark

·
Is that Bill rated?
440 Posts
Pinchflat King

I was excited by the whole tubeless option when it came to market because I would generally flat once a ride, if not more. It didn't seem to be a pressure issue and the only semi fix that I had found was running downhill casing tires, which really slow a bike down on the climbs. I bought a Stan's kit at my first opportunity and tried a number of conversions.

I eventually discovered that for this 225 pounder (before gear) the only tires that would stay on a tubeless converted wheel were actual UST tires or the aforementioned DH tires. Every normal tire that I have tried to run converted to tubeless has peeled off the rim or burped aggressively at some time, often in an inopportune fashion. It didn't matter if it went on tight, had a steel bead, seated well or anything. If a tire was not made to run tubeless it didn't work for me unless it was a 1200 gram monster tire.

On the other hand I have had great success with regular UST tires from Hutchinson, Michelin, Maxxis and Schwalbe.

I have used Mavic UST rims, Stan's rim strips, Bontrager rim strips - in a Bonty wheelset, and a ghetto tubeless using a 20" tube. The Bontrager rim strip has provided the most secure engagment, at least if you look at how difficult tire removal is when you try to change tires, but the wheels are a little light for us big guys. I run Mavic 819s on my trail wheelset and I am quite happy with that option with the appropriate UST tires. On my 'freeride' wheels I run heavier tires and I am currently set up ghetto which has not given me any trouble yet.

In all I have to say that when it is working tubeless is great, but for me there were a lot of headaches involved in determining what tires and wheels were compatible with me and my riding style.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've been using wtb weirwolfs 2.3 on my bontrager race tubless ready rims with stans for about 4 months with good results. I mostly just trail ride but like to catch a little air when I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went straight for the factory option:

Mavic 819 + Schwalbe UST Nobby Nics = An easy life for me!

I'm just over 250, and have had no pinch flats in two years running 30-35psi on a hardtail (now a 5 Spot) with all the grip and comfort benefits that lower pressures bring.

I don't use sealant (yet), so I punctured once on a thorn, but it's been all postive for me so far.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
UST on my trailbike

donalson said:
like the title says... any clyds running ghetto tubeless?... whadt are your thoughts on them? worth the extra trouble?
Ghetto tubeless on the pumptrack bike. Seems good to me, but I am not a fan of putting myself 10miles out in the woods with a ghetto setup, so it doesn't go on my trailbike. That being said, it saved me from several thorn-punctures.

donalson said:
what advantages did you see (if any)?

i'm not ready for them yet... but seems like something to consider maybe...
thanks
mark
I have converted my DT5.1 to UST and have run UST tires on them. I have to run just a bit higher pressure than I used to, but they feel just as soft/forming to the ground and grip/roll just as well - and I could feel the difference in weight.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
explain to me what if any advantage there is to tubeless tires?
Im not a newbie and have used both ust and "ghetto " tubeless setups

heres what Ive found

ust
heavier, limited tire &size selection, cant really run lower pressure than tube type without bashing the rim plus the sidewall is thicker so even at the same pressure the tubeless tire doesnt spread out as much as the tubed

ghetto
same as above except, lighter( not by much when you add in the rim strip, valve and goo)
and a weaker tire without the tube, greater chance of burping or just blowing off the rim

as far as thorns, etc. you can run slime in tubes or some other sealant so that is a wash
as far as pinch flats , I run 28lbs in my tires (tube or tubeless) and the only time I get a pinch flat is when I go below 28lbs. I weigh 220+ and ride all mtn. over some of the nastiest sharp granite around.

so , again what is the advantage? I've just switched back to tubes with my stans flow rims
and now have no worries

·
Registered
134 Posts
At 230 pounds I've had great success on tubeless setups and I'm not going back. No burping at all. Thorn holes seal right up.

I run Specialized Captain Control (2bliss) tires on Crossmax SLs with a scoop of Stan's with no problems what so ever. The tires come in at 610 grams each(pretty light). I run the front around 28 psi, rear around 30 psi. Setup has been great for the rocky and loose sandy trails on the central coast of cali and for my trip back to missouri on the limestone loose gravel to hardpack trails there.

·
PULL
697 Posts
220ish loaded up here. Ran 2.5 folding kenda nevegals on my 729's for a year fine. I ride very, very, hard. I've dented my 729's really good and the tires were still fine. I like to run them at 21.5 psi, they feel amazing but roll really slow.

I rode downieville a few weeks back and threw a little whip off a rock jump and ended up coming down and ripping the bead of the tire in half on a rock. Random freak accident. I bought another set of the folding 2.5s to throw on the bike. On real downhill runs, I run wire beads.

Go for it. No more pinch flats or flats from thorns.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
dan0 said:
so , again what is the advantage? I've just switched back to tubes with my stans flow rims
and now have no worries
UST is not supposed to be heavier.My tires lost over 1.5lbs when going to UST. I was running 2.5/2.35 kenda nevegals with DH tubes, now no tubes and 900g tires. I can feel the difference when it matters- mostly at the top of climbs.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I'm 235 + gear and have made the switch to tubeless (likely for good). Running 819's and Rampage 2.1's on my FS bike (long travel XC / trail) and have had absolutely no issues. Weight is about the same as my previous set-up (net) but no pinch flats (I can dent rims regardless). The 819's are really holding up well, though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've never understood the tubeless idea either, so I just figure there's a reason for it, it just doesn't apply to me. I've been riding on and off since '89 and I'm about 240 right now. I'm sure I must have got a pinch flat at some point, but it couldn't have been more than once or twice. I like higher pressures though (around 40) and don't know why anyone would want to run their wheels super low. Especially a big guy. I see big guys talking about running the same numbers that the 160 lb guys do, that doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't really care about little weight differences, I'm out there to work out and sweat. If I was going to time myself and get tweaky I'd get a road bike. I still put thorn strips in my tires from when I used to ride in SoCal and AZ even though there's not really a lot of thorns in GA. I've never had more than a couple of flats a year and I know how to use a repair kit so I guess that's another reason I've never been interested in tubeless.

I guess that's what makes things interesting, everyone has a different opinion. I'm always interested in the simplest solution.

bb

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
MattP. said:
Stupid question:

When running a UST rim with a UST tire, is Stans sealant needed/recommended?
no, but the ust rules are being changed to yes on some tires
you shouldnt need it, unless you get alot of punctures (thorns , etc.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.