Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I'm shopping around for a new custom wheel set as I tacoed my front wheel a few weeks back on my stock '08 SJ FSR 29er. In the meantime I've built up the front wheel again with a Salsa Semi hoop just to get me up and running again. I'm 6'5" 270lbs.

I'm most likely going to go with a CK and Flows but am also interested in the Rohloffs hub (I'm also not opposed to Hope, i9's or Hadley). I realize the Rohloffs will be a bit heavier than a CK, etc but then again, I'm 270lbs and am not too worried about shaving every ounce of weight. Guess I could just lose 5 pounds and call it even.

Questions I have on the Roloffs:
Will that hub fit on a Stumpy? I thought I read somewhere that the gearing will be off on a 29er if a Rohloff hub is used?!? Are the Rohloffs a good hub for XC/single track riding?
I did a search here and didn't find a whole lot on the Rohloffs. Figured I'd throw it out here to see if anyone has had any experience on them.

Pics are welcome. :thumbsup:

**Edit** After editing the spelling of "Rohloff" in my post :madman: , I did find a bunch of posts using the search. I'll be reading thru them first.
Can I blame the X-mas eggnog brew on that one... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Might check out?

I am looking at building some wheels myself and have looked at many options. I am about 280 lbs and 6'10". Have you checked out the white industries M16's they get great reviews and are quite abit cheaper then CK. If you have to have the name or a fancy color then CK and Hope are good choices. On my comparable online builds I built the same wheel set with CK and White industries hubs and the weights difference was 20 grams the CK hubs are lighter but the cost to weight dropped is not worth it to me. They don't have as big a name and are a little more retro looking, but still made in the USA.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.