Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm looking into a FS ride and am a 6'3", 260 lb guy. I have posted on the Clydes forum for some recomendations but came across the Ibex Apogee LX which is right in my price range and has outstading components for the price. What I'm wondering is if there are any other clydes out ther riding these bikes with good results?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 6'2" and about 225. I bought an Apogee LX back the beginning of November and I love it. The Geometry is just right, and I have had no problem with front or rear shock. I figure I have about 20-25 hours on it, and oustide of now needing to have a break-in tune up I have had no issues. With my old HT I had to have one of the wheels trued at least once a month, that is no longer an issue either. Do you have any specific questions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I was curious about. I've seen on some of the models the rear shock had to be unbolted to fill it with air, is this still and issue on the 05 using the Rockshox rear shock? Also what size frame do you ride? I would assume the 20" frame is a good fit for our height.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I ride the 20". The valve for the rear shock is off to the side, no need to remove anything. You will need to pick up or borrow a shock pump to adjust the front shock..I also use one to adjust the rear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
im a super clyde (6'5" 374) i havent gone off road yet but my ignition two is holding up nicely. im still only rails to trails but im starting to pratice buny hops and stuff with out issues and the apopgee looks to be stronger than the ignition.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Clarification on the rear shock adjustment

bespinct said:
I ride the 20". The valve for the rear shock is off to the side, no need to remove anything. You will need to pick up or borrow a shock pump to adjust the front shock..I also use one to adjust the rear.
Don't mean to hijack this thread...but I just bought an '05 Apogee Sport (LX) on clearance and have been looking for info on adjusting the Vector Focus Air shock that comes on it stock.

It has two adjustment valves (positive and negative air pressure...as explained earlier today by someone at Ibex). No probs with the negative one...however, only problem is that the positive one, the one closest to the lockout switch, is partially tucked behind one of the right side pieces in the 4-link system so it's impossible to get the pump attached to it. Does that mean I have to unbolt the link connected to the bottom of the shock in order to set the positive air pressure (the one that is related to your weight)?

After searching this and the other MTBR forums for about 2 hours and posting to the Ibex forum a few minutes ago, I came across this thread. Any info anyone familiar with this shock has would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

SP

PS BTW, I'm 6 foot and 205 lbs., does that mean I qualify as a "Clyde"?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Answer to my own question...and a new air pressure setting question

Hey there, in case you haven't seen my other post yet on my Vector Focus Air shock question, you can just click on this link that will take you directly there:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=180378

Just a warning, it's a bit of a long post. I didn't get any replies to my question, but the resolution of my quandry re-inforced for me the importance of persistence and getting to know your equipment.

QUOTE:

BTW, I haven't heard yet from anyone if I've got sufficient credentials to make it into the Clyde club or not. Which reminds me...anyone else out there weigh in about 205 or so and have the Vector Focus Air shock? If so, what settings are you running on the negative and positive air? Love to hear from you.

Until then, many thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sevadari said:
Hey there, in case you haven't seen my other post yet on my Vector Focus Air shock question, you can just click on this link that will take you directly there:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=180378

Just a warning, it's a bit of a long post. I didn't get any replies to my question, but the resolution of my quandry re-inforced for me the importance of persistence and getting to know your equipment.

QUOTE:

BTW, I haven't heard yet from anyone if I've got sufficient credentials to make it into the Clyde club or not. Which reminds me...anyone else out there weigh in about 205 or so and have the Vector Focus Air shock? If so, what settings are you running on the negative and positive air? Love to hear from you.

Until then, many thanks!
After looking at your other post it looks like you found your answer. I went with the Apoge LX which doesn't have the shock probelm since it has a RS Ario. I have heard that the older LX model shock had the same problem where you need to dissasemble it to fill it. Kind of a pain but livable I guess. This may not have any relation to your shock but I've been running mine at 200psi out of a max 250. Mine does not have the negative air on the rear shock.

As for being a clyde, over 200lbs would qualify you. Welcome to the club. Check out the Clydsdales forum on this borad. It has some great advice for setting your bike up to handle the extra weight. So far my Ibex is holding up great. The only problems I've had are with trying to get my other set of wheels to work with it which are slightly better than the stock wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.